Ford 5.0 V8 swap for my CJ7! NEED HELP - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ford 5.0 V8 swap for my CJ7! NEED HELP

OK OK OK... whoo.. my uncle has a 93 Ford Pickup with the 5.0 V8 w/ less than 50k on it.. he wrecked the truck and said I can have it. Alright I was about to get my engine rebuilt in my Jeep.. so now I am planning on the swap. What transfer case bolts up to the Ford Th400? I have a AMC 304 V8 w/th400 automatic w/ adapter and D20 xfer case.. What can I reuse? What do I need? I have the cpu, trans, engine? What else? Where do I find the motor mounts? What is everything I am going to need? Thanks.. hopefully H8 is out there... Its going in a 1978 CJ7 w/ AMC304, Th400 automatic, and D20 xfer case.
Thanks in advance.

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 11:42 PM

Re: Ford 5.0 V8 swap for my CJ7! NEED HELP

Right on, you will like the swap.
The truck motors, have good a good plennum and manifold set-up and can really flow some air through the engine.
I cant help ypo much with the drivetrain questions, your best bet would be to talk to AA. But for motor mounts go to M.O.R.E., they have a great set of 5.0 mounts for the CJ. They were a little more than AA's mounts but much better design and fabrication. they were about $200 I think for the complete set mounts and bushings. They are very sturdy.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 11:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you know much about the automatic? Anything cheaper for mounts? Who sells different mounts for my CJ? What steps should I take when doing the swap? Thanks again

<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 08:07 AM

Let's clarify a few things. Ford doesn't use a th400, that is gm. Also the intake from the truck probably wont clear your hood(It is real tall). AA makes adapters to fit your transfer case to a c4 or c6 ford automatic but not the AOD in the donor truck. For motor mounts MORE comes highly recomended. look up Z&M for adapters for the transfercase(might have some, I dont know for sure) and start calling local junk yards for a mustang intake.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:56 AM

I had previousely read in an off road rag, that the truck manifold wouldnt work in a Jeep. I believe it was a JP article that was documenting a Z&M conversion of a 5.0 into a CJ.
But in real life, I have at least 6" of clearance between the top of my Mustang intake and the hood. I am using modified M.O.R.E. (CJ) Engine mounts.
I would wait and see if the truck manifold will work before buying more parts.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will my Th400 boltup to the 5.0 with an adaptor? What tranny comes with the 5.0 in the Ford Pickup? What all will I need? Thanks

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:50 AM

Ah grand poo-bah don't forget you have a body lift on your truck....The air cleaner on my carbed(I know it's archaic so don't remind me) 5.0 is actualy only adout 1.5" from the support beam in the middle of my hood. The truck intake is like 4" taller than the car intake and with all the cars-LTD,Grand Marquis,Mustang,Lincolns and more that the 5.0 came in an intake shouldn't cost more than $50 in a yard. With a few phone calls to all my old racing buddies I can probably scare up a car intake for the cost of shipping.

The truck should have an AOD(automatic over drive). There are adapters to hook ford motors to GM trannies but a trans to transfercase adapter might be better.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey I have a 2in body lift w/ a 4in Suspension on my Jeep... Could I possibly get away with the intake? Jimmy if you could find the Car Intake it would help alot let me know.. I guess both of ya'll recommend the MORE mounts? Are they bolt up? Z&M sells motor mounts for my application saying now driveline mods and bolt-in?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also.. radiator? Do I need a new one? And Fuel Pump for my tank.. Thanks ya'll sorry for all the questions..

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 12:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, you'll need a new fuel pump...to get up to FI standards...but you can probably use the one off the truck. If it's got 2 tanks, then it most likely has a high pressure fuel pump on the driver's side framerail somewhere around the front of the bed.

Radiator? Hmmm. If you've got no cooling problems with the 304, unless you go really Hi-Po with the 302, you should be fine. I've never really heard of anyone having serious cooling issues with 302's.

Drivetrain: Did a little looking, haven't yet seen any adapters for 302 to TH400. Doesn't mean it's not out there, just means I didn't find it. But it sounds to me like a perfect time to swap in a granny low 4 speed. There's a Ford bolt pattern T18 calling your name. Can you hear it? "Muddynut...muddynut...MUDDYNUT!"

Was this truck an auto or manual? 2 or 4wd? If it was 4wd, the transfer cases are very reliable (and geared something like 2.6:1 in Low)...but the manual trannies are LOOOONG...and not particularly tough. Can't help you much with the auto, except to tell you that it's the E4OD (I think).

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode