Help - Howell TBI Install, 258 with MSD Ignition - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Help - Howell TBI Install, 258 with MSD Ignition

I need help. I have an '87 YJ with a 258. My friend and I tried installing a Howell TBI kit on it today. I have done the TR upgrade and have an MSD 6A. The folks at howell forgot to include the MSD Filter so I tried to revert back to the Dura Spark ignition just to get it going. The issue we think we had was getting spark. We seemed to have been getting fuel and the fuel pump seemed to be working. The instructions were unclear as to which side of the TBI the fuel line goes into and which side the return line goes into. Also, we kept the orange and purple intertwined wires and hooked the purple into the jumper wire that we put into the Dura Spark connector. The question we had was where to connect the orange wire. I do not have an orange wire on my Dura Spark. We tried the green and black wire, but the engine did not turn over. Are we missing something? I hope once I get the MSD filter from Howell this will solve the issue, but does anyone have any insights? Thanks in advance.

Donny

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Weber to install when it gets a bit warmer
1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 10:17 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Help - Howell TBI Install on 258

Fuel filter goes between the tank and the fuel pump.
Truthfully input fule line and output lines should be common in the TBI body. I'll look at my doc's and email you off line.

The Duraspark module... humm... let me look again.. off line.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re: Help - Howell TBI Install, 258 with MSD Ignition

I spoke to the guys at Howell and it turns out that the MSD filter is actually in the wiring harness itself and is programmed in. Has anyone done the Howell insatll with an MSD? I want to know which wire on the MSD to tap into with the white Howell Tach wire. Thanks for the help. Also, if anyone has done it with MSD and wants to help me out over the phone or is in the NY area, please email me or you can beep me at 917-563-4600. Thanks.

Donny

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Weber to install when it gets a bit warmer
1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 11:49 AM
MarkF

I've done an install and I'm in NY. If you want some help shoot me an e-mail. I'll see what I can do.

mark F

1986 CJ7, Chevy 350, D44/D30, more to come shortly
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 04:00 PM
Can't Get Enough

You may need a tach adapter. I had an issue with my Holley Pro-Jection it was fixed by using my tach adapter to trigger the fuel injection. If you need more info just holler.
Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Scout D 300,Pro-Jection,Dana 60's,Detroits,38" Hawgs, 4" BDS SOA,
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode