idle noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 05:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

idle noise

I am a new 2000 jeep wrangler 4.0 6 cyl, owner, can anyone tell me if this sounds normal: I took my wrangler in for them to check out a noise that didnt seem normal to me. My jeep has less than 200 miles on it and when you let out the clutch and have the transmission in neutral I can hear a whining noise, (almost sounds like a bad bearing, but i'm no expert). The service dept adjusted the linkage and stated that for the new 2000 6 cyl wranglers that noise is normal. It doesnt seem to get any worse as i drive it, its just something i havent heard in my previous jeeps (93 and older). Has anyone heard of this before???? thanks for any help

H Tolboe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 05:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: idle noise

sounds like they don't have a clue whats wrong with it...if it doesn't go away SOON.. you can demand that they fix it

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 92 Chev PU did the same thing. Inever had it looked at I just figured it was the sound the clutch made when spining free without any pressur on it ...Oh yeh it did this for about 75000 miles til I sold it.

jim

The first time I fell in the mud...
I realized I belonged there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The noise you describe is a normal characteristic of the NV3550 trans used in the TJ for 2000. This trans is basically the same as the NV3500 used in Dodge and Chevy trucks since'92 or so. The NV3500 I used in my CJ8 makes the same noises you describe. Because of the noise, the trans hasn't been available in the 2000 XJ yet. Chrysler is also giving auto transmissions away as a no cost option in TJs the last I heard. The dealer won't be able to change the noise level by swapping parts unless the factory comes up with a fix. Don't attempt to use heavier oil to quiet the noise, as durability and shift quality will suffer. Hope this helps!
P.S. This trans is a strong unit that will give good service despite the noise level.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode