Brakes and mud? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 07:52 PM
Leigh_Smith

Brakes and mud?

On my cj I have 11" drums in the rear and no self adjusters. Whenever I get in any mud, the brakes fade to nothing Common sense tells me that the mud wears away some of the shoe and the clearance increases but I seem to get good life out of my shoes and it is more like the adjuster is backing off. Anyone have any ideas?

81 CJ7 304/904/D300 scout 44's locked, full cage, 33"wildcats, warn HS9500i, bush bar from hell and diamondplate sides to cover gaping rust holes!! Coming soon OBA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Brakes and mud?

Drum brakes don't work when wet, they need friction to cam the shoes into the drum, so when they are wet you lose the leverage they have when dry.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What do you mean "I have no self-adjusters"? If it's an 81, you should have self-adjusters...either that or you're missing parts. When you return to pavement, and let the brakes dry out, does your braking power return? If yes, then it's wet drums...if no, then perhaps you have an adjuster problem...We can diagnose this if you give us more info...like what brake components you "don't" have.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 08:14 PM
Leigh_Smith

There are no self -adjusters, like the little lever and cable assembly that sits beside the adjuster wheel. Braking does not come back when dry, I have to turn the brakes up again. How do the self adjusters work anyway? I never took the time to look too closely at them, only took the time to curse them as being one more troublesome piece of a drum assembly.

81 CJ7 304/904/D300 scout 44's locked, full cage, 33"wildcats, warn HS9500i, bush bar from hell and diamondplate sides to cover gaping rust holes!! Coming soon OBA!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The sheetmetal plate that the cable hooks to keeps the adjuster star wheel from backing off, that may be the problem...
how they work...
when you back-up and hit the brakes the shoes rock and that pulls the cable which moves the sheetmetal plate which turns the star wheel which spreads the shoes further apart.

hey, that reminds me of a book...The old woman and her pig : )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode