t-19 clutch questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

t-19 clutch questions

We're gettin' ready to put a t-19/D20 combo out of a 78 Scout into a bro-in-laws CJ5 (It appears to be a 6.?:1 1st gear judging by the number of rotations to turn the rear shaft one full turn in 2 hi). The tranny has the long output shaft and deep bellhousing, so we're swapping in a Ford t-18 short shaft and redrilling his t-15 bellhousing. The question then comes down to the clutch and pressure plate...what do we use?? I don't have the Ford t-18 input shaft here yet and don't know its spline count. Will the pressure plate from the CJ's t-15 work? What clutch do we order/use? 4WD Hardware shows the same 10 1/2" x 1 1/8" 10 spline clutch for the t-15 and t-18s, so is the t-15 pressure plate and a new t-15 clutch interchangeable with the t-19 with a ford t-18 input shaft??
Any info or guidance would be appreciated. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Thanks,
Shain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: t-19 clutch questions

Shain,
I'm going strictly on memory here, but that diameter and spline count sounds right. The only funny thing that I can think that you'll need is the Ford inner/AMC outer pilot bushing. If you have a CarQuest auto parts near you, I might have a part number at home to get that pilot bushing from them instead of the one from Advance Adapters.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Snowtow. Still dont have the t-18 input shaft in hand (bro-in-law ordered it and the pilot bushing from somewhere). Investigating this a little further it looks like there is a 10 spline 1 1/8" version and a 10 spline 1 1/16" version input. Todd's t-15 has a 1 1/8" input and matching pressure plate. SO, can I use that 1 1/8" pressure plate with this ford input shaft that I expect to be a 1 1/16" or am I gonna have to hunt down a different pressure plate?
Thanks,
Shain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The pressure plate has to be the same size that the input shaft is. Using the 1 1/8 on the 1 1/16 shaft would eventually destroy the splines on the input shaft because of the play, plus lots of other ill side-affects.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crap [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]...hope the input he ordered is 1 1/8". Thanks for the help Snowtow.
Shain

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The input will DEFINATELY be a 1 and 1/16" spline. Use a clutch disk for a 76-79 CJ with T-150. - Chuck

Chuck Hadley
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 12:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hope that Its just a typo that you are ordering a ford t-18 input shaft, the t-18 input will not fit a t-19. you need to order a ford t-19 input shaft, there are at least several variations available depending upon what front bearing is used and spline count etc. these include: t19-16a, and 1309-085-xxx. I would take the t19 input shaft and bearing, and the jeeps input shaft to your supplier so that they can get all the measurements required.
good luck, jjc

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 10:47 PM

I called Border Parts and asked them if I actually had to have a t-19 input shaft rather than the t-18 I ordered. He told me they were exactly the same. I then called AA and they told me the same thing. As for the clutch pressure plate (or listed as clutch cover assembly) 4WD Hardware has them listed seperately for the 1-1/8 and 1-1/16 input shaft, yet the have the EXACT same part number. I personally think it will work for either. You do, however have to have the correct clutch disk...obviously.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode