Suspension - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Suspension

Well I've been lookin around and noticed that a lot of people with CJs imparticular usa SOA, Rancho, or Skyjacker lift kits. Well for me the SOA is something i don't wanna parttake in so that is outta the question. So that leaves me to Rancho and Skyjacker. I plan on using Rancho RS9000s on the CJ so I have that part of the suspension outta the way. But I'm not too sure as to what direction to go between Rancho and Skyjacker. If i could just a couple of more opinions, maybe some pros and cons about each lift. Its for a 79 CJ-5, and its gonna be the 2.5" lift if that helps anyone. Both kits seem to be about the same price, so what ever it comes out to be is in the budget. Thanks for any help I might receive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 07:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Suspension

First off save your money and dont go with the rs9000 shocks. Very overrated. Plus what i have heard is you cant adjust them low enough. A cj is a very light truck so i would stay with a cheap hydro shock. On a lift go with a 4in. You will be happier with it if you plan on wheeling. My 33's love to eat my fenders with a 4in, but i do have a heavy ass bumper/winch combo.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate the tip about the Ranchos, that can save me some major money. The reason why I was planning on doing a 4" lift is because I was only planning on putting 32s on the CJ. Any more help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 07:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

This board can answer just about any question so just fire away.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

So which lift would be better to get. I take it by the way you talked about using the Hydro shocks, then Skyjacker would be the better lift. Also, will the 2.5" lift be plenty enough lift for the 32" tires. Thats what i plan on putting on there so should that be enough.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 07:48 PM
sas87yj

i know you are talking CJ and i have a YJ but i can tell you my story![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
i have a 4.5" RE lift and just put 32x11.50's on.
took out for virgin run today and under real mild wheelin, the rear tires rub on the rear inside flair/fender! i was not expecting that! so consider that although again we are talking different models.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 07:53 PM
BMF

I completely disagree with the comment about the rancho 9000 shocks. Yes, they are pricey, but I would buy them again. I've used several different shocks on several different vehicles and I think that the rancho 9000's are the closest to the performance I am looking for (both on and offroad). Just my opinion.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey look in any recent fourwheeler mag, youll see the tuff country adds. my neighbor has a 4"tough country, and a 4" rancho on his jeeps and he loves the TC and hates the rancho. TC rides better and from what ive heard/seen it holds up longer. the 4" and 2.5" kits are both $295 and include the pittman arm

man i love my jeep
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 09:52 PM
Pooh-Bah

I would (and did) spend the money for the rs9000's. The adjustment level of three equates to the same as a rs5000, so then when you have levels one and two available you can get them way down for a light CJ. I run mine at three or four if driving to a trail, then drop them to 1 on the trail, or can dial in the rear a little stiffer to limit wheel hop. I even spent the money for the dual controller so I can adjust them without having to get out an reach under a muddy vehicle, or adjust on the fly. I wouldnt go back to rs5000's or the ProComp es3000/5000's.
I liked the Skyjacker lift on my J10 more than the Rancho I had on my K5 Blazer, but that's not a straight across comparison. The Skyjacker springs are a little less stiff.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
<font color=red>Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!</font color=red>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

That sounds like a good price, including a pittman arm is crazy. Most CJ lifts don't do that. I'll have to look into it. If anyone has any other information on Tuff Country would be appreciated. I don't know much about TC and haven't heard a lot about them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode