Re-doing spring packs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 02:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re-doing spring packs

I am kicking around going SOA when the jeep gets new axles and just getting it over with. Thing is I still want to use my RE springs with the millitary wraps. So what would be a good combination to use on my springs. Just start taking out the lower leafs, until I get the desired height? I believe they are 6 leaf packs, I have the thicker rear ones on all 4 corners.

Any comments?

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green> & <font color=blue>'88 Grand Waggie</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 02:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Re-doing spring packs

How much lift do your RE springs provide in SUA configuration? That info will help along with how much lift do you want out of the SOA conversion.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry, I have the 4.5" RE Extreme lift springs. I was hoping to get around 2.5"-3" out of the springs.

Jason

<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green> & <font color=blue>'88 Grand Waggie</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 08:01 PM
sas87yj

jason-
to change the subject
my new 32x11.50's rub at the rear! i was shocked. they are hitting the flare/fender at the rear-inside area. i will take off flare and trim along with some of the body right there. this was under light wheelin and i didn't continue till i hack away a little. just curious how much rubbing you had with your 35's? maybe you have a body lift? i took off my 1" body when installed the 4.5" RE> i don't want the body lift so will cut a little for starters.
thanks,steve

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 04:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used my extende bumpstops and when the extentions contact the bumpstop there is about 1/2" clearance between the rear of the 35" and the body. I am running a 2" PA body lift and 35" MT/R's. What kinda tires are you running? If they are swampers then they probably are measureing around 33". Get some stock TJ flares and hack under them.

Also anymore comments about the spring packs? I have 2 small leafs that won't hamper the spring clamp. I am thinking of taking the lower 2 leafs out and see how that holds up. So it will be a 4 leaf setup. I'll at least have to take out the lower leaf for sure. Maybe I'll get some of that teflon pads from online metals[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Jason

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 07:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i wouldnt take out those lower 2.. if anything.. try one first.. those are the load bearing springs.. and it doesnt take much.. but with you flexing them springs.. w/o that one.. be prepared for them to go flat sooner than normal.. your driving/axles/wieght will all determine how long they hold up.. i would leave them alone.. and ditch the body lift..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ahh I actully forgot I could take it off. That's the ticket. I'll proably just ditch the lower spring and see how that works first. I didn't realize that they would sag that much. I guess that is why I am paying you guys so much[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].

I posted a pic of the springs before they got put on.

Jason

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-445040-9-228867-RE45WHOLESPRING.jpg (73.7 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:13 PM
sas87yj

yo jason!
where did you get your bumpstop extensions and how long are they? i found a part number for a rancho extension on http://www.desertrat.com under a yj lift kit to "clear 33's".
this may be what i need like you said to control the rubbing.
thanks man

steve
87yj,6cly,5spd(ba10[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]),4.5"RE lift,SYE,CV,32x11.50MTR's,D30,D35posi
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They won't allow you to fully stuff the tires, just wanted to let you know. I got mine with the first 4" lift I purchaced, a pro-comp. I have seen them for sale at http://www.4wd.com, they are selling the skyjacker ones. They are actually like a metal thing that fits ontop of the axle tubing between the bumpstop and the axle, under both of the ubolts.

$39.95http://https://www.4wd.com/Shop4wd/P...roductSku=BP30

There are also extended bumpstops you can get from http://www.mountainoffroad.com, that are actually reenginered longer rubber bumpstops that mount inplace of your original bumpstops.

$58.50http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catal.../bumpstops.htm

Jason

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:51 PM
sas87yj

dude nice work![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
you went all out on the research! thanks...
yeah my articulation will be limited i know but i want to stop the rubbing. trying to find a happy medium. i will check these sites out and see what's up. i saw some "blocks" that go in between the stock rubber bumpstop and the frame that i would like to find also. might even consider making some of these "blocks" of varying height to find the right size for my conditions. thanks for your input and effort!

steve
87yj,6cly,5spd(ba10[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]),4.5"RE lift,SYE,CV,32x11.50MTR's,D30,D35posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode