Shocks for lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shocks for lift

Okay now that I know what type of lift I am going with. * 1" body and 2" spacer lift*. I need some opinions on shocks.

What shocks can I get with this 3" total lift that I can use later when I add a 4" suspension lift? I really am not a tightwad I swear [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] but I dont want to buy shocks that I will have to replace again when I add the 4" lift.

*stepping off her soap box*

<font color=purple>Proppy</font color=purple>
And who says women dont know how to drive? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 02:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Shocks for lift

You are not actually getting a 3" total lift with the combination that you are going with. The suspension will only be moved 2" away from the frame, the body will be moved from the frame 1" via the body lift. You will only have to buy shocks for the 2" of lift that the suspenion spaces will give you.

Now for the bad news. There should be too much difference between the 2" spacer and the 4" suspension lift to use the same shocks. Not to mention that the 4" suspenion lift will come with new springs which will more than likely flex better than the stock spring that you will retain with the spacer lift.

I would advise to go with a cheaper shock...Rancho RE5000 are pretty cheap with good performance. You can get Rancho shocks from Autozone too[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. The absoult best way to get the right shocks is to put you new suspension in but leave all shocks off. Then flex your suspension to the max(forklift, RTI ramp, etc.) and measure the max travel side and the compressed side for the front and rear. Then call Rancho and find out the part # of the shock that will allow you about 1" of clearance on the max travel and compressed side of your measurements. This will take you a little more time and you will be without your TJ for a little longer, but it is the best way to assure yourself that you have the correct shocks. Then later on you can spring for the $ shocks when you do the 4" suspenion lift.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green> & <font color=blue>'88 Grand Waggie</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 02:48 PM
Veteran

here is a list of specs for Rancho shocks

http://www.ilovejeeps.com/tech/article.cfm?ID=14

good luck
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

See I told ya I dont know much about body stuff. *thinking I shoulda stuck with engines* [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You have been a great help Jason, I greatly appreciate it. I am sure I will have many MANY more questions to post before my Jeep is done.

<font color=purple>Proppy</font color=purple>
And who says women dont know how to drive? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode