dana 18 shifting pattern and technique - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dana 18 shifting pattern and technique

Well, I almost have my first jeep('70 cj5) ready to take on the trail after months of work. One thing I am wondering about is how to operate the tranfer case properly. I have a single stick dana 18. I think that the pattern is from top to bottom; 2H Neutral 4H 4L. Is this correct?? Any also, with and auto trans what gear do i need to be in in order to shift the tranfer case?
Can you guys help me out?
Thanks for the input
Rick

'70 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 03:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: dana 18 shifting pattern and technique

should i be able to easily shift the t-case when the engine is not running?

'70 CJ5
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 06:29 PM
Official Historian

Re: dana 18 shifting pattern and technique

I don't know the shift pattern of a single stick dana 18 but I can answer your other questions. If the driveline is not keeping the jeep from rolling with the engine off, the transfer case should be easy to shift. For shifting the transfer case with an auto, do the following:

To shift the transfer case, stop with the trans in neutral. While holding the brakes firmly, put the transmission in park. Now you can shift the transfer case.

If you get the trans and transfer case in neutral, you will have to turn the engine off to get the trans in park or the transfer case out of neutral. What happens is the transmissions output shaft is spinning and there is no way to stop it if they are both in neutral. The trick is to not let it get to spinning by using the parking prawl to hold it still. You just have to keep the load off the drivetrain while the transmission is in park with the brakes so you can shift the transfer case. It's kind of a long and clumsy explanation but I hope it helps.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode