TJ vibes?? SYE and upper or lower adjustable arms??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TJ vibes?? SYE and upper or lower adjustable arms???

I need to know what rear control arm config I need. I already have Rusty's control arms but they are not adjustable and if I get a SYE will I need to get adjustable arms and should the adjustable ones be upper or lowers or maybe both. I want to keep it somewhat cheap at this point.
Thanks,
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: TJ vibes?? SYE and upper or lower adjustable arms???

Aaron,
Assuming that when you get the SYE kit, you're going to get a CV driveshaft, then you're going to want rotate the axle housing up so the pinion is pointing to the back of the t-case. The way I figure it, you can do that by either shortening the lower arms or lengthening the upper arms. I'm not not sure which would be better, my kit had adjustable upper arms. I guess maybe the uppers might be cheaper for you since they're a little smaller. Also keep in mind...On mine TJ, rotating the axle like that pushed the track bar back into the front of the gas tank skid plate, so I had to beat the skid plate with a sledge to make it agree with my intentions. Also, when you rotate the housing like that you have to mount the rear shocks upside down because the lower coil spring pad rotates back into the shock tube. I guess if you have a guy who can cut and weld good and cheap, you can have him cut enough out of upper arms to get the right pinion angle, but that might involve a little trig to plan, and some luck.
Good luck man, with the cv shaft, all your vibe problems should go away.
Mike

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 02:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I don't have any vibes YET. I am swapping in an 8.8" rear and I need to do all of this at the same time. Now you have me concerned with the gas tank skid hitting the trac bar. I have the Tomken gas tank skid which has a bracket that sticks out further than the stock skid. I wonder if it will cause more trouble. I'll have to wait and see I guess. All of the welding will be done on the rearend 5 hours from where it will be installed so welding the trac bar bracket onto the housing at installation won't be possible. I wish I knew exactly how many degrees difference in pinion angle there will be between the D35 with slip yoke and 8.8" with SYE kit before and after I get a bigger lift. Oh well I guess I will have to figure something out.
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have looked at pictures of the tomken gas tank skid plate and I think you might be fine. It wasn't the track bar, bracket the caused me the problems, it was the track bar hitting up closer to the frame mount of the track bar. My tj stock skid plate had a piece of metal that extended up towards that mount that I could just bend back with a few hard hits with a hammer, I don't think the tomken plate sticks that far toward that mount. Although, you can just look under there and imagine stuff being rotated a little and see if you have any problems. I see your problom though. Too bad that you didn't have the bigger lift now, since you could just have the guy welding on all the brakets rotate them around the housing so you could keep the stock orientation, but still have the pinion pointed up. However, you really shouldn't have any problems making any lift work if your new 8.8 is equivalent to the stock 35. For a ball park guess for you, my 99tj with a RE 4.5" with their saw the t-case output shaft SYE kit, my tcase output angle was about 3 degrees, the pinion of the d35 was like 12 degrees, so I figure that I rotated the pinion up like 8 or 9 degrees assuming that the stock pinion angle was like 3 or 4 degrees. (I never measured it)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 03:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah I wish I had the resources to just get under the TJ one week and put the SYE kit in, put the lift on, put the 8.8" under it and weld the brackets on where the need to be. At this point the plan is to just weld them on in the same exact places that the D35's are. Hopefully that will work ok for me. A nice jig that holds all of the brackets in perfect alignment where you just rotate the rear end inside the jig for pinion angle based on lift height would be nice. I am sure it will all work out ok. I think that having to get the 8.8" in before I can order a driveshaft bothers me a lot. I don't like the idea of being dead in the water for several days not knowing if it will work right when the shaft does show up a week later. I have another car to drive but no place I can work on the TJ then leave it for several days waiting on a shaft. Could I drive my TJ with no rear shaft in 4x hi on the street? If I do this I will have to do the work at a friends house and drive my TJ home 30 miles with no driveshaft. I can stick the driveshaft in at my house but I can't tear into the tcase and swap the rear ends at my place.
Thanks,
Aaron

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Funny you should ask that question since at the moment my TJ is sitting out in the parking lot of my work with no rear driveshaft. I'm also in the midst of a drive shaft change because I'm putting in Teraflex's short shaft kit and needed to take it out to show the drive shaft guy. I was hoping to get a ride to work today, but that fell through, so I sucked it up and drove to work in 4Hi. I asked the drive shaft guy and he said I should be fine if I drive nice and easy and not to fast. So far I've gone about 40 miles with it like that with no problems. I know that guys who break the rear shafts on the trail do it all the time, so I figure if I take it easy then I should be ok. I'm hoping to get the shaft back in asap though, since it makes me nervous driving it like that. Its acutally kinda strange driving it in front wheel drive since since when you accelerate the rear end tilts down instead of the front end tilting up. Anyway, not that I really have any statistical facts to back myself up with, but you should be fine in 4hi with no rear drive shaft and driving like grandma. Sounds cool having the 8.8 in there, I'm sure that you'll be happy to see that damn 35c go.
Mike

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's great to know that I can at least get it home. Well I haven't had any problems wit the 35c YET but I will be very happy to get the 8.8" in there. I want to go with 35" tires and I know I would break the 35c. I haven't been upgrading anything much because I look at the D35 as a road block that needs to be replaced before I can progress. Money well spent. The 8.8" seems to be the most affordable way to do an axle swap. Trust me I have called everyone on the planet for prices, asked everyone about different rear ends, and compared bone yard special rear end features. I couldn't put a LSD/locker, gears, disc brakes, and a super 35 kit in the D35c for under a $1000 but I can buy an 8.8" from an Exploder with a LSD, disc brakes, better gears, and bigger axles than a D44 for $500. Add in the $300 RE brackets and $150 to have someone weld the brackets on and off I go on to other things. Of course I need a SYE which I would need after a bigger lift anyway.
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode