Suspension lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 01:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Suspension lift

I want to go with a bigger lift than a 2". Price wise what is the best lift to buy and what all do I need to do the complete lift?

I have seen the superlifts and skyjacker kits, other than price what is the difference between the two?

Any help would be appreciated. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=purple>Proppy</font color=purple>
And who says women dont know how to drive? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 02:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Suspension lift

Welcome. We may be a bit callous bunch, but you can learn to love us too[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. This is a pretty good place to ask anything from what is the best oil filter to how much bearing pre-load should a AMC 20 axle have to what is your religious preference.

Now, about your suspension lift. You will need to ask yourself some questions and be honest. What is going to be its major usage...street, beach, dirt roads, mud bogs, mild trails, or technical rock crawiling? Also what size tires will you be wanting to clear? What features are you going to want...adjustabls shocks, longer control arms, stainless steel brake lines, swaybar disconnects, and HEIM joints are just a few. Do some research into the kit manufacturs and what each has to offer. Also you can spend a small fortune or go cheap...let us know what you are looking to spend.

Several people here have used the Superlift and had some good results from it. My personal favorite is the Rubicon Express Extreme Duty kits, they are complete and have plenty of options. You can upgrade them with RE parts later too. But if you are wanting to just clear 33" tires on a TJ the Rancho Rockcrawling suspenion is neat too. A good compromise is a 2 1/2" suspension lift and a 1" poly body lift(never go too high on a body lift). Many people on other boards use the Tera kits and are happy with them, but they are pretty spendy for what you get.

Good luck, tell us a little more about what you are wanting in a suspension lift and we will be able to give you a better answer.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green> & <font color=blue>'88 Grand Waggie</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 02:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm new to the board as well and see some great stuff here. I also plan to put some bucks into my CJ for suspension as mine has a tired set of springs. My question is can anyone summarize or point me to the pros and cons of SOA rather than a suspension lift? From what I can tell the topic has been hashed and rehashed many times over but I can't find a discussion.

Stock '86CJ7 258 T-176/D300 D30/D44 31" BFG-A/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 02:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Start a new topic, then watch it fly.

Jason

<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green> & <font color=blue>'88 Grand Waggie</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 08:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try this link http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//search.pl?Cat= and search "SOA conversion" this should help a little if you don't want ot start a new thread.
good luck

K-16
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 11:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Basically what I want is something to clear 33's. It will be used mostly for street driving BUT if I feel the need, I want to be able to take it muddin and on some trails. I wont be using it for *extreme* 4x4ing. *at least not till its paid for*

As far as features, I am not sure. I want to be able to upgrade in the future but for now I just want to get clearance for my tires. And I want to try and keep my highway drivability. I dont need it lifted to high, hell I just about need a ladder with the stock height. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I want to stay around $1000 but I dont want to buy something I really dont need. *still in shock over the Skyjacker Double Flex kit my boyfriend wanted to buy* [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

And who says women dont know how to drive? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 11:37 AM
utahjeepr

If you only intend to do street driving with some mild off-roading any kit will do. If you plan on going more hardcore later and only want to buy once then the Currie set up is flat out the best on the market for hardcore rockcrawling.

72 CJ-5: 305 Chevy; SM420; D-300; 30/44 with 5.38's, Warn axles, and Detroits
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 12:03 PM

It seems that skyjacker isn't that well liked and thier kits are outragously priced. I would say go with a 4" kit isntead of a 2-3" kit, if you get a 2" kit you may be wanting to go to a 4" kit and have to get almost everyhing new again (that would suck). Another option would be a 1-2" (if you have ac you can only go 1") body lift and then a 2" spacer lift, this is a fairly cheep option and will clear 32's really well and will fit 33's alright. Then later on if you want to go bigger you can always put a 4" lift on and throw the spacers in to make it a 6" lift. When you get a 4" kit and 33" or larger tires, many people on a budget like the 4" super lift kit, you have to consider things like do you have to get new gears to still have power, do you need an sye, will your front axle take the bigger tires, can you handle to drive w/ large tires every day, do you have to tools to install the lift? if not I'd get a 2" lift and then a nice tool set so you can start working on your jeep. If you only have a grand to spend on a lift, tires and wheels this is probably the way to go or if you have a grand + money for tires and wheels then I'd take that grand and go w/ the spacer/ body lift and then get other things like tow hooks, rocker skids, a limited slip, and some basic offroad gear like a hi-lift, tow strap, spare parts, a CB radio, maybe a full cage and other things that should probably come before a lift and tires. Feel free to ask the board any thing these guys know there stuff.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeeper99xj:

I agree wholeheartedly with you about the other off-road gear, parts, etc. The $1000 I mentioned was just for a lift. Most everything you mentioned we already own.

I have decided to go with the 1" body lift and 2" spacer lift. Seems like the best way to go without having to repeatedly fork out money for different suspension lift kits.

I have one other question. Some of these lifts I have been looking at have different kits for softtop and hardtop, whats the difference, besides the weight of the tops, or is that the reason?

Thanks for everyones help on the topic, *bowing* as I pay homage to the JeepGods. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 01:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good choice for beginning. You should be happy with your choice and when you decide to upgrade later you won't be out a whole bunch of cash. Make sure to get some sway bar discos.

The different kits are packaged by different spring rates. The lighter jeeps, 4 cyl. and soft tops, will have a lower spring rate, than a 6 cy. and hard top. The spring rate is the amount of weight that is required to compress the spring 1 in. If you have a hard top, then go with a hard top set of springs...if you don't then when you put the extra weight of the hardtop on, it will begin to weigh the springs down.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode