siping Yokohama's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

siping Yokohama\'s

I just bought a set of 31" Yokohama Geolandar M/T and I would like to get them siped. I would like to do them my self but I am not sure if there is a certain way of doing them. As far as I know there are cuts about 1/4" or less. The part that I am confused is, are they on a 45 angle or are they striate across the tread? I need your help, I am just very confused. I have looked around for places to do it and nobody will do it except for one guy, and he said he will do it for $50.00 bucks a tire, no way!!!!

Need your help tires arrive on the 5th.

Thanks for your help,

Garrett

90' YJ/2.5L/NP231
81' CJ-7 Frame build-up into CJ-8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 10:05 PM
sas87yj

Re: siping Yokohama\'s

$50!!!!!!!!
why would you want to cut-up brand new tires anyway? i don't see the advantage. please explain![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
i couldn't imagine hacking up my brand new MTR's unless i was running professional competition and there was $$$ in the events and there was a definite advantage.
just curious is all..
steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 10:11 PM
utahjeepr

Sipe them straight across the tread. Sipe the centers, but leave the lugs on the outside edge of the tread intact. The outers tend to chunk really bad if you sipe them. $50 is freakin' ridiculous unless he was gonna do it by hand. I pay $10 a tire. A fellow with a siping machine can cut a tire in a couple of minutes. Siping by hand would be far more time consuming. Up there in the land of ice and snow I can't believe you are having trouble finding someone with a safety sipe machine.

72 CJ-5: 305 Chevy; SM420; D-300; 30/44 with 5.38's, Warn axles, and Detroits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 10:22 PM
utahjeepr

Steve,
You should sipe the center lugs on those MTRs, does really good things for traction. Siping is great in snow and ice, but also helps on rocks. You are basically adding lots of lateral edges to grab traction. I sipe my MTRs and I used to sipe my BFGs. The trade off is more rapid tire wear, but for me the increased traction is worth it. In snow and ice siping is very important, it greatly improves traction. Siping can make the difference between being on the road and being in the barrow pit.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I got one more ? How many per lug or how many per inch?

Thanks for the help,
Garrett

Garrett

90' YJ/2.5L/NP231
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 07:58 AM
sas87yj

thanks for the advice utah-
yeah i could see possibly some special conditions for ice like installing spikes on those motorcycle ice-racers tires. i will go "as-is" on my MTR's for now. not that i'm PW'd or anything but i think my wife might frown on me cutting up my new skins![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. really though i can't see any advantage for my type of wheelin and maybe for some stiff competition it could prove beneficial.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 10:04 AM
utahjeepr

Garrett,

Cut them about every 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. Try to get the same depth as you have distance between cuts, so 1/4 to 3/8.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

utah

I have read somewhere that it will extend the tread life 10 to 15% longer, by keeping the lugs cooler on the highway and during braking. I am not sure if that is true but I am still going to do it for the winter driving. It does get scary when you are sliding to a stop sign with cars all around you.

Thanks for your time,

Garrett

90' YJ/2.5L/NP231
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 12:40 PM

i siped my brand new bfG MTs and love it...

i used a carpet knive, nearly lost a finger in the process, made 3 sipes in ieach center lug,none in the ones on the shoulder,

make the sipes deeper in the center and shallower at the extremes of the lugs, kinda "M" shaped if you can imagine.

the tires will now wear quicker, and traction is great... i hardly manage to get a wheelie on wet pavement (but then again, i drive a 60hp samurai )

you will void your guarantee, but its worth the hassle... as a extra benefit, my aggressive mts even work great in sand-dunes, b/c the cut lugs tend to open up and "fan out".

i read in one of the 4x4 mags a while a go that some aircraft comp. made scientific testing and break-away traction was increased like 28%... cheap and good upgrade

do it

alfred

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You should get longer tire life with siped tires. If you look at long wearing road tires, you will also notice that they are also heavily siped, along with a hard tread compound. I siped my Yokohama MT's by hand, took about 45 minutes per tire. The traction differance on snowy/icy roads in incredable, but dual detroits, and short wheelbase still make it very scary.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode