SBChevy 360/400 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 06:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SBChevy 360/400

anyone who has done a .45 over sbc400 piston conversion on a 360 Other than the pistons and the re-bore, what is entailed in the conversion to SBC 400? I am capable of the swap but slightly ignorant of what else is entailed. Do i just tell the shop .45 over then aquire the pistons? is that it? do the connecting rods etc.etc. work with it?
please give concise simple advice

thanks

schaan

Thanks for your input,

[email protected],

schaan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 06:55 PM

Re: SBChevy 360/400

A little clarification is in order here...A chevy 360? or are you talking about using chevy pistons in an amc 360. I ask because 400 chevy pistons will only fit a chevy 400 and chevy never made a 360. If you want to use the 400 slugs in an amc or chysler 360, the rods will depend on the rod length of the 360 and the deck height. some rods are interchangable by having the crank cut to a different rod throw diameter and some are not. There are also pistons available with different pin heights(usualy shorter) to acomadate longer rods. Give a little more info on exactly which components and engines you are asking about and I will try to find some info for you.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 07:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've looked at the Keith Black / Silvolite web site http://www.kb-silvolite.com/slvpg09.htm for the piston information, the AMC 360 has a bore of 4.080" so yes the Chevy SBC 400 piston with a bore 4.125" could fit an AMC 360 if the AMC 360 was bored .045". Now for the compression height of an AMC 360 piston, which is 1.580". The Chevy SBC 400 has a compression height of 1.560" so the compression height is .020" less. With .020 less compression height the AMC 360 will have a lower compression when using Chevy SBC 400 pistons. Now onto the wrist pin diameter, the Chevy SBC 400 uses a wrist pin of .9273" and the AMC 360 uses a wrist pin of .9310. You could have the AMC 360 connecting rod bushed to use a full floater Chevy SBC 400 piston. Do yourself a favor, if the have the money to use Chevy SBC 400 pistons in an AMC get real, get the AMC 401. You could build a much better AMC 401 with the same money you would use to build an AMC 360 with Chevy SBC 400 pistons.
dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 07:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

obvviously i am getting into something that i dont have the experience to understand, so ill probably just have a standard rebuild done . I dont have alot of cash to spend on it so a plain old rebuild will probably suffice. I have never been a big horsepower kinda guy, id rather beef up my drivetrain, and use steep gearing instead. Sorry to appear a fool but i dont know much about the internals of a motor, thanks for your clarification

Thanks for your input,

[email protected],

schaan
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 10:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

schaan,
Never ment for you to feel like a fool. Engines, drivetrains and axles are all very techanical. Just wanted to let you know there are several details to using non-AMC pistons in an AMC 360. If I left you feeling like a fool, I apologize.
dave

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

no offense taken. And your info or opinions are always welcome. How else am I gonna learn !!!???

Thanks for your input,

[email protected],

schaan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

like i said none taken

Thanks for your input,

[email protected],

schaan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode