mitlitary paint - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

mitlitary paint

Anybody ever tried military paint? Surplus city has it for 30 a gallon. Just wondering how it easy it would be to apply, durability, resistance to trees and rocks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 07:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: mitlitary paint

i um..once heard about ....well..ok.. my buddy swiped a bunch of orange from the HAZMAT locker at work.. it is the same orange the military rescue vehicles(like helicopters) are painted... it turned out great, but it is normal paint.. funny... a lot of jeeps in that area were white, orange, and olive drab.....

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

haha. Does it seem to be resistant to scratchs? I'm looking for something that I can spray myself and isn't going to require a lot of expertise. You wouldn't happen to know what you reduce it with or what a good product would be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 07:58 PM

If you get the 'Field Grade' paint, it seems to be a lot tougher...
The only problem is, the field grade paint only comes in flat, and I mean FLAT colors...
Flat Black, Flat Light Green, Flat Dark Green, Flat Brown.... You get the idea...
It is best applied uncut, with a sponge brush... I swear you can get in on 1/8 of an inch thick!
It resists scratches and gouges, and if it does get scratched, just feather the edges with a brick, and lay some more on ...
It's tough stuff.

I get it at the local surplus store, and it runs about $8 to $15 bucks a can depending on the color and if the can is dented or not...

All of the safety paint I have seen is high gloss, and usually plain paint.

By the way, the newer field grade paint is radar deflecting and will help keep laser guided stuff from locking onto you... That's for the benefit of you anti-government types out there...

Later folks,
Aaron.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 08:04 PM

I painted mine with that good old industrial safety yellow. Its cheap heavy duty enamual paint. But you can buy other colors which are all flat of course. $29 a gallon.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 08:23 PM
Addict

Check the stuff again. If it is CARC paint it is the "field grade flat" color paint that TR is speaking of: it is really durable and it definately hides scratches. Touchup is also a snap because there is no high gloss finish to smooth out - simply touchup with a coarse spray and you are done. *****BUT****** be forewarned: If you spill any oil based liquids on it - the stain is there to stay especially if it is on anything fiberglass or kevlar.

Note: When properly CARC'ed, netted, and backdropped, your Jeep will also be invisible at night to Gen III and below night vision goggles too! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Liberals don't mind being lied to . . . they just want to be lied to by someone they trust!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

================================================== ===================
I get it at the local surplus store, and it runs about $8 to $15 bucks a can depending on the color and if the can is dented or not... AND ... By the way, the newer field grade paint is radar deflecting and will help keep laser guided stuff from locking onto you... That's for the benefit of you anti-government types out there...
================================================== ==================
Gotta have some of this stuff. It is priced right AND evading laser guided stuff ................ GOTTA HAVE SOME OF IT. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Seriously, I do want to "OD" my TJ. I want the flat color. No shine, no gloss, and easy to touch up. Make some recommendations, please. Could probably get by without the radar deflecting if it made a bunch of difference in the cost. Interested in dull, flat, GI paint that is tuff and easy to touch up.
Thanks.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
CBrack.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 09:33 AM
BHT

I know a fellow that used 20% zxylene to thin the paint he got from Surplus City. Cleans up with normal paint thinner. You can
handle the paint in 24 hrs, but full cure takes several months.

BHT
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 10:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I found a great paint that is very durable. I had a friend that ran in the demo derbys and we worked for a construction co. at the time and we got laid off when the co. went under. Well I had about 6 cans of safety yellow paint in my truck that we used to paint curbs and poles. Really thick stuff. Well we painted one of his cars with stuff using a roller. It really looked good and had a nice textured look to it. He ran in the demo derby and the paint proved to be very scratch resistant. Just ask for safety yellow curb paint at the paint store.
Aaron

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 11:30 AM

We just had the 'Field Grade' and 'Garrison Grade' paints when I was in.
The field grade is best applied with a brush or roller, uncut, you get a much thicker coat that way...
The Garrison Grade was almost a semi gloss, was already thin, and got used on vehicles that carried staff officers.

One thing to remember,
FLAT BLACK is FLAT BLACK.
No trying to match a thousand shades of red or three hundred shades of green.
Black is black. It matches perfectly no matter what.

Flat black is also hot as hell in the summer sun...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode