Wheels on a CJ...? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wheels on a CJ...?

I've Been looking at alot of used wheels lately for my CJ-6. The ones now are in need of replacment. Is there any other wheel size that fits the Jeep 5 lug pattern ? A guy at a parts house tells of a time he put Ford rims on his old Willys wagon. Sounds strange but stranger things have happened.

If at first you don't succeed.....
Skydiving is not for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Wheels on a CJ...?

ok.. once again..
early 80's dodge used 5 on 5.5 same as a jeep
ford used 5 of 5.5 for MANY years on all their 1/2 ton trucks(f-100,f-150)
many of these trucks have 10X15 aluminum rims and can be bought from a junkyard cheap and bead blasted to make look new

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dodge, Ford, and Scout all used the same wheel bolt pattern as Jeep. The thing to watch out for is be sure that the center hole is large enough to go over your hubs. Some of the Ford wheels have a smaller hole as their hubs don't have as large a diameter. If you think this is strange, just get into this Jeepthing a little more and you will see all kinds of parts that interchange.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I guess the old fella wasn't blowin smoke. Thanks for the info. I really am suprised about the way alot of parts swap from vehicle to vehicle I thought I was going to have to bu a bigger hammer.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

BiggJim, just remember the reason parts from other vehicles fit on Jeeps is that for years Jeep went dumpster-diving for parts.

Gary
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 10:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gary how dare you "dumpster diving", I prefer to call it appropriating or accumulating or Ala carte or something else not "dumpster diving " my Jeeps heart just made a little wimper. Thanks...Jim

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 10:13 AM
Can't Get Enough

It's true, and it doesn't stop at the wheels. I saved my old Ford PU rims to use as spares, that is untill I went to 35's. By the way, I'd still keep the "bigger hammer" idea in mind - you'll probably need it.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 04:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you find a 5 on 5.5 wheel in good shape (or a set of them, rather) that have a smaller center (hub) hole, you can generally take them to a machine shop and have the center hole enlarged to your specs for a few bucks. That's what people told me when I asked this question a few months ago...

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:30 PM

Ala carte........I gotta remember that one.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Best description I've heard.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Nowadays we calls it "outsourcing". When I worked weekends in a big wrecking yard as a hi skool kid, my favorite pastime was reading through the "Hollander Bible Of Interchange"....a manual that told you what fit onto what. I always wondered where they got all that stuff...."The '38 and later Desoto front drum will fit the '47 thru '56 Studebaker but you must use grease seal # 39013.".....SHEESH! It was FULL of that kind of stuff. I always pictured a shop somewhere and every day the guys try to interchange SOMETHING and then write it up.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode