Warn Black Diamond??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Warn Black Diamond???

I'm thinking about getting the Warn Black Diamond lift for my CJ7, actually I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it, but I was wondering what everyone thought about it... Like how is on-road ride/handling? More importantly how does it flex? Any other info is greatly appreciated!! Thanks,
Jake

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 10:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Warn Black Diamond???

<font color=blue>Coil or Spring?

I love my rear leaf springs, but the front are awfully stiff. Overall, the ride improved. Of course, YJ springs are wider than CJ's... (on most vehicles)...

Get the XL shocks, not the AT's....

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 10:05 AM

OOOOOH,
I just got goose bumps, I was thinking of my 89 YJ. With the 8.8 rear axle already installed and working well. My mind wanders ahead, the G.Wag D44 Im imagining is complete with knuckle over steering and the whole swap was problem free, and I even made money on the swap from the sale of the D30,mmmmmm. Now the motor,no need to wait for winter, Ive excelerated the schedule for the 5.0 SVO Crate motor,mmmmmmm its complete and mated to my NP435,mm"NO, WAIT" it is mated to a new NV4500 mmmmmmmmmmmm. Suspension why naturally its A Warn Black Diamond, all shiiiiiny and no dents in that lazer cut skid plate...because no rocks can touch it.... Now my Jeep nimbley climbs all obstacles with, with the grace of a deer and the power of a tiger mmmmmmm.
Jeff...Jefff....JEFFFFFF,
HUH??? WHAT Jeepchick????
"What were you thinking about over there you were all glossy eyed and drooling on the table?"
Ohh,mm nothing, but I was just wondering, do the girls really need to go to college???
"What?? Of course they do, heey, your on that Jeep discussion thing again arent you... Get off of that #@&*# thing and get to work".

Great, I gotta go. But quickly,Ive wheeled with a few guys with the XCL,its one of those products that lives up to the hoopla and hype,they had a few engineering probs at 1st,but they are all worked out. It (the Black Diamonds XCL)just works awsome, just look at what TRi County Gears Jeep did at the National Rock Crawling Event, 5th place, with a stock 4 banger,D30,D44,35" tires and an XCL suspension. But just remember if you havent swapped the axles you will be using in the future then every swap will need to repreped for the suspension, and the springs are built specific for the weight of your motor and such. So all of your other mods should be in place before you spend the money for the suspension. But just think 16" of travel, no axle wrap mmmmmmmmm, I gotta go she looking at me.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 11:12 AM
Veteran

If you are speaking of the 3" spring/shock suspensioin kit. I went through this about 2 months ago. We just installed the kit, but the motor is not in the jeep yet (doing a frame up resto) so I can't give you any ride quaility info, I have pix at http://my.treeway.com/rickmelwest/Pu....htm?956715722 . I really did lift the jeep well, I coupled it with the 5/8" lift shackles from Conn-Ferr (everything from Quadratec), I would not recommend going with a longer shackle (like the 1 3/8" lift or 1 3/4" lift shackle), they are really long (I got them & returned them & went with 5/8"). I also got new shackle hangars from Slickrock, the y are really nice. If you do a search on this BBS, you will see that I got a lot of positive responses about the Warn BD lift, especially from AustnJPR, who has really had a lot of good tips for us.

However, they did take about 6 weeks to get to me from Quadratec.

Good luck!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the black diamond springs and would recommend it. I had noticed the rear sagging somewhat after a year. So I called Warn and they sent me new rear springs with no hassle. They didn't even ask hardly and questions!! They really stand behind their product.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 12:39 PM

I was assuming he was aking about the Warn Black Diamond XCL Extreme Coil Link. With 16" of travel,and unparralled articulation. Cost is about $3000 to $4500 depending on what had to be done durring the install. Your entire suspension system is cut off of your existing frame and axles and replaced with a coil over shock long travel 4 link suspension. Theres apicture of it on the front of 4 Wheel drive and Sport Utility(june 2000).

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks everyone for you opinions! Helps a lot and yes I was talking about the legf sprung lift! Really wish I could afford the coil sprung though!!!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>Oh yeah, one more thing, make sure you don't install the FRONT bumpstops... they severely limit articulation....

Of course, mine are still on, avoiding cutting off the welded on u-bolt skids...

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode