Winch rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 08:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Winch rebuild

Found a good deal on a Warn 8000 lb. winch not sure which one but an older model. The guy wants $200 but I might be able to get it for less. I've seen it work twice but broke both times after pulling me out once. The last time it worked he had to hard wire the remote and he burned the post off of his battery. He said it had something to do with the solenoid pack. Anyway how much to rebuild it and make it as close to new as possible? He has a roller fairlead and about '75 feet of cable in decent shape.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 08:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Winch rebuild

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If the winch is mechanically sound....that is the motor, gearbox, and drum is OK, the solenoid pack is diddly. What we would have you do is abandon the solenoids in the winch, and get some regular heavy duty ones mounted unser the hood, and then a nice remote cord and pendant. If you get this winch for that little money, you just cannot lose. People just underestimate how much current that they have to serve to the winch, and it burns everything up. If you do this right, it will be a nice setup for you. Does he have a nice remote control pendant and all that?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 08:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

He has a nice remote but hard wired it. I guess its still salvagable. I'll talk to him today.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 05:16 PM

If it is tall and ugly it is proberly a 8274. If it is, pay the guy $200 ask no questions and run with it. That same winch today is over $1200. I think it is one of the best built. Do not worry about the solinoids or remote. chicken feed. My 8274 is over 25 years old and still works.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

try to find the id tag on the gear case (this is very important on the planetary units as they all look alike). if the motor is above the drum and has three posts on the motor it is an 8274 (a single post motor is a belleview, a very good unit but hard to find parts for). if all you need is a control pack use warn part numbers 36941 and 34462. these are the industrial controls used on their series 9 and 12 winches. very robust, and worth the time to install.

dan
<font color=blue>Good things come to those who do research!!</font color=blue>

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know its not an 8274. I'd a swiped it already if it had been.
Thanks for the info

Can you fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode