After market air conditioning - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

After market air conditioning

Has someone had success with after market air conditioning installation on an older cJ7? I have a 1980 with 258. I had a "Vintage Air" system, heater/defroster/air conditioner installed and it has never worked satisfactorily. Either it leaked, defrosters wouldn't defrost or defog, or the outlets wouldn't provide any volume or some such problem. Had back to the installer probably 10 times. Tomorrow he's pulling it out, finally. I would like to replace it with a decent system, realizing that it won't be as good as factory installed, but I hope better than the $1300 I spent on this piece of junk. Heard of a company in the Phoenix area but can't seem to find the name. Thanks, John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 11:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: After market air conditioning

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Boy....that's grim, John. Just a minute and I'll have one of the moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] get into the files and we'll have that address for you. While we're waiting, I'll tell you what we ended up doing. We considered after market air, and had a good price from Arizona. HOWEVER, I thought that for what was involved, that I would be better off with an actual Jeep unit....EVEN THOUGH the Jeep A/C unit does not actually integrate with the heater/defroster, I still thought that I would rather have one. Dirt Dog on this page confirmed the notion when he suggested that the aftermarket air systems were usually quite lightweight and easily damaged.....leaving us with no place to go for a blower motor for example. I advertised for a Jeep unit, and got several responses. We chose one from Louisiana and they are packing it to ship to us this week. The end cost will be about the same by the time I get some new hoses and so forth. Here is the address for the Arizona guys:1-800-648-4475.........Arizona Mobile Air..http://www.azmobileair.com.......Bill Tremont, sales..[email protected] The unit for your Jeep runs 626.49 or 830.34 installed. Wanna play some golf while they put the system in? Bill is an avid golfer[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 06:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com/air_conditioning.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone ever consider putting in one of those RV units, the ones on top of the RV. You could mount it above roll bar or fab up some type of tonneau cover for the rear and put it on it. Then you could remove it in the winter. Anyone see any major cons to this?

Bakes
83 Scrambler
http://www5.ewebcity.com/4x4trails
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 05:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just a bit unsightly maybe....for a Jeep[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:18 PM

This was the kind of stuff I didn't want you to get into.(CJ Dave)
Sorry you had such bad luck John , but I used to install this "crap" and I know how pourly it works.[sad] Dave I guess I'm glad I saved you from it after all.
Now you heard it from the horses mouth.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Glad just to save someone from the headache!!!!!!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] No kidding, Dirt Dog....when I read this post it really hit home....I'm glad that I took your advice[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:23 PM

Oh as for the "roof" air............
Other than it being FUGLY 99% of them would require an inverter because of the 110v they run off of. They do make 12v systems if you have your heart set on one though.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:25 PM

Hey Dave quick post!!!!!!
Whats up w/ the who's online not working or is it just me?
BTW I'm really glad to help![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It hasn't worked for me for a long time now.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I thought it was a problem with my moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]but maybe not[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode