Am I off base or what?? (off topic...Elian Gonzales) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Am I off base or what?? (off topic...Elian Gonzales)

Hmm...you know, I am a Republican all the way. I side with the majority of the people on this board on every topic...guns, drugs, land use...pretty much everythng. This is what confuses me...I find myself thinking that the gov't did the right thing by taking that kid by force. Its stupid to think that they could have gone in there any other way, or at any other time, and take that kid to give him back to his dad and let them get the hell out of Dodge. There is no way, in my opinion, they would have ever negotiated that kid away from the family...so I say, way to go US Marshalls, you executed flawlessly. But I have mixed feelings...because there were only two people that made the decision, Klinton, and Remo. If the democraps stay in office for a few more years, I can see them getting used to not needing permission to forcibly enter someones home. The thing that bothers me the most is that i am a hard core conservative and I find myself disagreeing with Trent Lott and a majority of the republicans...whats up with that? are there others out there that feel the same as me or do I need a dose of reality?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 09:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Am I off base or what?? (off topic...Elian Gonzales)

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm kind of where you are on this one, but from where I sit, the mistake was the "kind" of chicken-s#it raid that they actually did pull off. It would have been a lot more advantageous to show up with a court order ON PAPER....in BROAD DAYLIGHT, and say: "Are you law-abiding citizens OR NOT?" That puts the monkey on their back, and it would have made a lot more points with the general public if they had done that, and THEN storm the house and kick some Cuban butt in broad daylight like REAL men, instead of the Gestapo tactics that were used. That's the only problem that I had. I LIKE what happened for another reason, however, and that is that it may cost the ScumbagII some votes in November.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 09:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I usually describe myself politically as "two steps to the right of Attila the Hun."

I'm like jeepsternaut: I don't understand the general Republican weeping and gnashing of teeth over this one. It's a simple matter: this poor kid lost his mother. His father's politics don't play into the situation. The Miami relatives have a lot less rights to the boy than his father does.

I don't know about the specific raid tactics for sure. I do know that lawyers and negotiations would probably have tied a resolution up for more months or even years, so I think somebody had to have the balls just to go in and get him.

<font color=blue>Bone stock rigs: '81 CJ7, '96 ZJ. Moab every summer!</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 09:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>What goads my weasel is the fact that the family won't "let" the child go back to Cuba because of how bad it is, but they seem to fly a LOT of Cuban flags. UGH![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

If that was my child, and Cuba tried to keep him away from me... I doubt I would have exercised the restraint either Castro or Cuba has shown... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

I hear ya CJDave, and what you say reads well...but in my opinion, if they went in during the day, peacefully or locked and loaded, it would have been violent...and IF a shot was fired and blood shed, it would have been real ugly. and dont you just HATE the fact that these people are singing the Cuban national anthem and flying communist flags! and they say they are SOOO for everything this country stands for...I think, if the father was a citizen, he could bring kidnapping charges on these alledged relatives. and what about that fisherman who saved the boy? does he have a job or what? theres OUR case for an OD on maryjane! I am just having a hard time understanding why my party affiliation doesn't feel this way. I am afraid that SOME who have mixed feelings on this one might swing there vote to the left if the republicans make an issue out of this. Not I however, I vote for the guy with the R by his name, regardless! It just kills me that I differ with MANY of them on the issue!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 360
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:13 PM

I think the raid was unnecessary because the kid wasn't in any danger and he was not being mistreated by his "captures???" I think the executive branch of our government is pretty anal retentive on this one. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] They say they want the rule of law so why don't they wait to see if the courts will grant Elian the asylum hearing. Typical of this administration, they think the government is answer for everything.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I agree with CJ Dave about the pathetic tactics of the raid. Our big bad ass government had to knock over a house full of unarmed old men, women and children like it was a stronghold of the Waffen SS???? Dave, would you feel proud of the swat team kicking the a** of a bunch like that in broad daylight????[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] I'm sure other governments around the world are laughing at us now, especially Fidel Castro, who is leading our great president around by the nose on this one. Not one of our better moments[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:32 PM

Lets see, they had a search warrant. They had been told to return the child. The custody they were given was revoked. they understood the terms when the accepted custody. Did not abuse him? They were playing that kid for every bit of anti castro sentiment they could. Anybody else notice that the kid had a new toy everyday? I think they executed a safe a sane operation to remove him.

If Fla. family wants to stick to facts, they should recognize that the kid is getting the hearing that they said he wants. He is getting to file for asylum.

Personally, I would like to see all of the cubans that want democracy to go back. How can they expect to gain democracy for their country if they are not there? Granted, some dissidents have to leave because of an immdeiate threat to their lives. If everyone that wants democracy leaves, who's left? Stupid communists. Especially since I have never seen a smart communist. Is there anyone here, beside me, that was living in Europe when the Eastern European communism collapsed under the will of the people? If all of the Eastern Europeans had fled, it would have never happened.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am very conservative and I also wonder why I agree with Klinton on this issue. It really bothers me but I have to agree that the child belongs with his natural father. While I would have liked to see a negotiated settlement I don't believe it was possible in this case, the Miami family would have taken any and ll steps to delay justice as they saw it. As far as the big deal of the weapons being at hand, I say that it certainly was a matter of officer survival. Officers being thrust into an unknown home with what had become unreasonable people defying the lawful orders of a court would justify weapons being at hand. Which one of those of you opposing the use of weapons in this case would have wanted to be the first through the door? John

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 11:02 PM

Well, I think the ones that "want democracy" leave because they want to avoid starvation and persecution moreso than the desire to be able to travel freely or practice free speech. Our political rights here in America are worth fighting for, to be sure, but people who will brave the seas on makeshift rafts are looking for survival more than anything else. Perhaps it is having that fact in the back of their minds that compelled the Miami Gonzalez familty to make the stand that they did. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 11:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Has it been lost that the kid is an illegal immigrant? If not for the dramatic story of how he got here wouldn't he have been sent bck to Cuba immediately? Maybe I'm a little cold but he should have been sent back long before it ever got to the point of the raid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode