Team Jeep Racing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Team Jeep Racing

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This morning I was noticing that it was almost time to take both my Indy car teams (I WISH!)to "The Brickyard" for the 30 days of pre-race testing and so forth, and I was thinking about the race and how it has been such a staple of motor racing for over eighty years. How would it be to have a cross-counntry Jeep Race? You could begin in Downtown LA or some equally urban spot, and end in Portland Maine. The route would be designed such that you just couldn't build a single-purpose Jeep and get by. Like there would be hundreds of miles of freeway that required good gearing for fuel mileage, steep country that required good off-road capability to keep people from dumping out the front drive to save weight and fuel. Time and distance would be controlled on the long paved stretches; to make it interesting and prevent overspeeding; and specified overnight stops would be included. Sort of like the great auto races, but would include cross-country routing as well as pavemment. Make a few rules, like it has to be a Jeep body (not frame), and maybe a Jeep engine, but leave it fairly open otherwise, because the conditions would naturally dictate the equipment mix. The truth is, that a new TJ would be pretty darn competitive right out of the box, so you'd need to make the course a bit tougher than a completely stock Jeep could "easily" handle in places just to keep things interesting. Stage the starts over a three-day period to avoid congestion.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 04:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Team Jeep Racing

Dave,

First let me say "Congrats" on your daughters graduation. How bout something like a "Gumball Rally" but just a little bit safer. I think any rally of the sort involving Jeeps would be cool, what do you'all think?

Booger [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

If a dog has no tail, how can you tell he's glad to see you?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks, Boog....You know, when I was posting that race post, I was trying to think of that term that they used for the time-distance cross country races, and all that would come to mind was "motocross" which I knew wasn't it. "RALLY"...yeah...that's the word[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] could I have been having my very first "Senior Moment"...you know it, but can't think of it?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Congratulations Again about your Daughter.
As far as Jeep races go... They have an annual hot-rod show that comes into town every year. They go from Texas to Canada. Really nice rods. One of them is a 900 Horesepower CJ. It is bad. Original frame and body, that is about it though. It sits at an angle and the passenger seat has been replaced by a Nitrous bottle. It would not make it off road but it is still BAD. I will try to get some pics for ya'll this year.
LATER

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave,

You need to hang out with them young'ins more often, I does, that how I keeps my ownself feelin young inside.

Booger [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If a dog has no tail, how can you tell he's glad to see you?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 07:18 PM
sas87yj

an enduro?
do jeeps entertain any of the SCORE desert races?
i don't recall seeing any![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

aahaa I found it. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Congratulations about your Daughter.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I was seeing all the post about some ones daughter. Clueless
thought I could ask but think I will look for myself.

....I'm gonna be in CT in a month.....my first visit to the East Coast.....YALE graduation....my oldest will be outa college....at last....BS(Stanford)MS(Oxford)PhD(UNC Chapel Hill)Law Skool(Yale)....will be teaching at Harvard this Fall in the School of Public Health. This is SOME kid, I tell ya. And best of all, she treats people very well....always has.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 09:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is a classic car race that is run every summer. They run in different classes and they are given a calabrated spreedo and have to get from point A to point B as close to a specific time as possible. You could do something similar with Jeeps. The race I want to see is a New York City to Moscow across the north pole.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:13 PM

Hey CJ-Dave, thanks for the idea. I'll start building my Jeep for it right away. Lets see, has to be streetworthy...33s and 4.10s (BFGs rule on the street so I'd uyse them...) a Shackle reversal and 4" of lift on the '89 Wrangler...OME springs with the add-a-leaf and slightly extended shackles. A 4.0L stroked, Jet-chipped and supercharged for good power and fuel mileage. On board air since we'll have to go offroad and then back on-road, and a good stereo to make those on-road stretches more bearable. A nice racing seat and harness.... Who could we get to sponsor it though? A gas station to just pay for the gas for the racers would be fine if enough people could take off a week from work. 2-3 man teams and no chase vehichles. A Jeeping Cannonball Run!

My Jeep is just a leaky submarine in disquise
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:14 PM

Hey CJ-Dave, thanks for the idea. I'll start building my Jeep for it right away. Lets see, has to be streetworthy...33s and 4.10s (BFGs rule on the street so I'd use them...) a Shackle reversal and 4" of lift on the '89 Wrangler...OME springs with the add-a-leaf and slightly extended shackles. A 4.0L stroked, Jet-chipped and supercharged for good power and fuel mileage. On board air since we'll have to go offroad and then back on-road, and a good stereo to make those on-road stretches more bearable. A nice racing seat and harness.... Who could we get to sponsor it though? A gas station to just pay for the gas for the racers would be nice, and tire manufacture would be good too. If enough people could take off a week from work there could be 2-3 man teams and no chase vehichles. A Jeeping Cannonball Run!

My Jeep is just a leaky submarine in disquise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode