'66 CJ-5--Power Steering? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'66 CJ-5--Power Steering?

Met a guy with a CJ-5 33,000 orig. miles garage kept last twenty years. Nothing done for restoration yet. It's in great shape but he wants power steering. He was told that it wasn't possible. I disagreed but he's not willing to do anything major in the way of modifications. I did the search but I'm unsure exactly what you guys did.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'66 CJ-5--Power Steering?

Advance Adapters makes the parts he needs, except for the brackets to mount the pump to the engine. Get a 4-bolt saginaw box
from a fullsize GM luxo-car, they're variable ratio which makes them easier to drive on the highway.

Gary
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 04:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It all depends on what he considers a major modification. As was mentioned, AA has the brackets to hang the steering box so some welding has to be done (not splotchy, surface welds either). The front crossmember will have to be notched/reinforced or drilled and sleeved for the spud shaft to pass through. Some sort of draglink/tierod setup will have to be fabricated. The steering column may be something he would want to replace also, so bracketry for a new one would be necessary.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 05:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Snowtow, with the AA parts use use the stock steering coluum, you just cut it off and weld the top u-joint to the end. AA also sells
the tierod and drag link pieces. As far as I know this is the easiest way to convert the early CJ's to a power saginaw set up. As far
as is this a major mod., I guess that depends on your personal definition. I did this to my old 70 CJ5 and it was well worth the effort.
Each person will have to judge for themselves.

Gary
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 05:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks this will give him some direction. He'll have a shop do it for him if he decides to do it. Any idea how much that kit costs? If not i'll just call AA tomorrow. Thanks again.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 05:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry, I don't remember the cost as it was about 6 years ago. In the shopping around I did it was cheaper to buy the AA parts than
to have someone fab it from scratch. You definitly want excellent quality welds for the obvious safety reasons on any steering mods.

Gary
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 10:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for clarifying that Gary. I knew that you could use the original steering column, but some people like to swap in a newer style while they are changing everything else out. It was just a thought. Glad to hear about AA selling the draglink and tierod setup. I did this swap on a '48 about 15 years ago and had to fab my own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode