Jeep Articulation - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Jeep Articulation

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We are primarily SNO drivers up here and don't really do much rock running at all, but it occurred to my engineering mind; after reading so many posts on the need for good articulation; that it may be desireable to use a rear axle setup very similar to the early Ford cars with the enclosed driveline and a wishbone to hold the rear axle. You could use coil-over hydraulic suspension which would transfer oil to the side of the Jeep which had to go deep and relieve the side that had to crawl over. Coils would just add some bias to the process for stabliity, and for hiway work you could use a cut-off valve in the oil lines to cancel out the transfer of oil. The enclosed driveline IS the torque tube and takes all of that strain off the axle tubes entirely, and the springs only have to hold the up and down motion, no torque, since the torque is strictly between the piggy and the wheels themselves. The idea here is twofold: (1) to provide for more tire contact and articulation; and (2) to keep from having to wrack the frame and leaf springs to get articulation. This setup would especially adapt itself to the TJs since they have coils already. The enclosed driveline would not actually be totally enclosed, but rather "encaged", where the cage is the torque-resisting member and a skid at the same time. Sometimes you gotta let your brain float a little and try not to think of what IS being done, but what CAN be done[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]You could also take a page out of the (UGH!)"Low Rider" book and use four hydraulic cylinders as your coil-over hydraulic suspension and control all four corners independently from the driver's seat. All you would have to do is steal a bunch of tractor batteries; steal the hydraulic power packs from several trucks with lift gates; steal the switches and the solenoids and you'd be set.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:23 AM

Re: Jeep Articulation

Dave,,,, Your brain is working overtime here,,,,[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img],,,, The early Ramblers used this minus the hydraulics. They used leaves instead, but if I remember a few models came out with coils. Wonder why they never made it over to the Jeep dept.?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Have you ever worked on one of those wishbone system? It's not pretty,,, let me tell you[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. It would take your best crew of moonguys and then some. But when it worked it was great. This leads me to wonder also,,,mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........!!!!!!
GP'n

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I've built several race cars with the wishbone, or modified wishbone with transverse springs. I never saw a rambler setup. We also made some agricultural machinery that used that setup for extreme articulation for crossing levees but keeping the frame reasonably level. I've thought a lot about the Hummer system of independent suspension, but it really isn't that necessary if you can allow the solid axles to tilt a little more. A lot in the rear, less in front because of the limitations of the front drive. In the rear the drive can be centered in the vee of the wishbone, in front it cannot.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave,

Woodn't it be easier to mount a jeep body onto the frame of one of those"Wheel Hoppin Wonder Cars" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] the boys out there in cali have?

Bird [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:45 AM

Dave,
Definitely a thought provoking design.
The idea of leveling hydraulics, I have seen. On a run up to "Big Shuteye Lookput" above Bass Lake Ca. , Jeepchick and I spent a whole day wrenching and cleaning up hydraulic fluid when we crossed paths with a man and his son with a Tube Frame CJ with 4 link coil suspension in the front, and 3 link in the rear. All 4 corners were spring over suspension, with a Hydraulic ram located adjacent to each coil, using a biased controled, self adjusting system, there was an individualy controlled override for each ram at a center console. It was great looking piece of engineering, but he his son were really struggeling to get the hydraulics to work right. The suspension worked very well though when left on its own. I ended up using our vinyl tent ground cloth and a canvas tarp to rig up a diaper for that leaky beast. He was an excavating contractor from the Fresno area.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My dad has a '66 Rambler which has that torque tube setup and coil springs on a model 20 rearend. I can't recall though how the torque tube attaches to the tranny output and the input to the rear diff. Wouldn't you need some sort of extremely flexible connection to allow for changing driveshaft angles as the rear articulates. I wish I could look at that Rambler, but it's in a barn (where it's been for 15 years) about 200 miles away.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 11:57 AM

The Ramblers of the 60's had the old enclosed drive line set up with the wishbone. They were a bi&^ch to get to the shaft to make repairs, or even on the u-joint,,ball-joint thingy they used. oil would get every where.
GP'n

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Historically, the enclosed ball was used with one semi-constant velocity u-joint. If I did it I would use open-trunion, about like a front axle is right now. You need flexure in up and down, and rotary as well, just enough side to side to keep from breaking something, and the driveline should have one CV joint at the t-case, and a slip yolk in the rear for good measure. The BIG problem with so darn many hydraulic systems is that people cannot seem to resist adding every device that there is in the catalog, and when they do it is too complicated to work. I have to give the low rider boys credit for keeping it simple. They only steal enough stuff to do the job.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 12:12 PM
Addict

Early Fiat 124 Spiders also had the torque tube/enclosed driveline setup-- the pinion shaft ran to just behind the tranny, supported by a bearing there, with a rubber donut alignment coupling. They soon switched to a more conventional double cardan joint arrangement and added another pair of trailing links, but kept the rubber donut forward of the front u-joint, dunno why.

Interestingly (and totally irrelevant), instead of the conventional brake proportioning valve like we have on the Jeeps, they had a lever-operated valve on the rear axle, which closed off the rear brake line after the rear suspension extended to a certain point. Strange, but effective.

-Dana

Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 12:20 PM
Robert87yj

Why make it so complex? In my lifetime of experiences <font color=blue>(not that long, 22yrs)</font color=blue> I have fugured out that the more complex something is, thr more you get to know our good friend Murphy, teacher of invaluable lessons of simplicity. My grandfather always told me to KISS a project. A good acronym for any situation.

I don't have a lot of engineering experience, I went through my first year of college at an engineering school. But I did take calculus based particle movement. I purpose to keep it simple. In the rear go with a three link, with a swivle joint at the axle end of each control arm. Use quarter-elliptical springs for the rear springs. Use a custom coil suspension in the front or soa with folding shackles. When I can save enough for it, I might just go this way with my suspension, if everything works out like I've planned. So far it isn't. No really high paying job offers or good get rich shcemes have crossed my way yet. If they did I could do everything I ever dreamed of. Sounds good right now[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode