Transplant 78 Wag heart into 75CJ-6 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Transplant 78 Wag heart into 75CJ-6

For your info yes I am new at this. Ihave an opertunity to purchase a wrecked wag with a fairly fresh 401,auto, and a q-track with low range add and a part time kit all with low miles. My question is how much trouble am I asking for and would I be able to use anything else, like the PS, PB, or the tilt steering column any help would be appreciated in taking my first Jeep plunge.

Jeep Rookie Year, Gonna be A Good ONE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Transplant 78 Wag heart into 75CJ-6

The first thing that comes to mind is the need for a rear differential change. The '75 has the differential centered between the wheels and the Q-trac output is not centered. You will need a rear end which has the diff offset to the passenger side (like the front one is). That is a good frame/body to put that drivetrain in though. There's room for the engine and the wheelbase is long enough to handle the auto tranny. I like the CJ6 better than any other CJ, but that's just a personal thing. The power steering will work, but to use the column it will take some fabrication. The pre-76 CJ's have a totally different column and you will need to fabricate bracketry to use any Waggie or '76-up CJ column.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 09:06 PM
BigMan

I would use the motor and tranny but adapt a different transfer case to it. The quadratrac isn't really good for much other than snow. It is great in the snow though. I might have a dana 20 and the adaptor to put it onto the th 400 for sale before too long. I just got a dana 300 and I'm going to install that.
If you don't buy that thing I would appreciate you letting me know how I could get the motor from him. I'v been looking for a good 401 at a decent price.

Al
<a href=http://community.webtv.net/BIG-MAN-TT/BigMansJeepWorld>My web page</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 09:55 PM
Official Historian

if you used the dana 18, you could keep the offset wag axles.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry pal, but I had cash and he needed it. $500 put the wag in my driveway (still fighting the wife on her spot in garage) I have a dana 20 in my CJ-6 now are you saying all I need is an adapter plate? Also I feel like I should tell you what a gorrilla the motor ran like on the drive home (sorry I'm gloating I usually get hosed on deals) thanks for your help Jeepers seem like the kind of breed I'll like to be a part of.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input. I never even thought to look to the back of the wag because I already have the dana 44 in my CJ-6 . I appreciate your favoritism towards my jeep. I realy didn't know all of the differences in all the CJ's when I traded my little fishing boat on it. I almost feel bad telling you that I only had $350 in the boat...almost Thanks again Jim

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:21 PM
BigMan

Let me get this straight You have a cj6 (lucky ass) with a dana 20 and axles in it? And you are looking to put the motor and trany in the cj6 am I right? If so you can contact Parts Mike, he usually has the adaptors for the dana 20 to th 400 for sale. They are used and you might need some extra parts. I think I had to buy seals for the adaptor I got from him but the adaptor ran me $250 I think and it beats the hell out of the $450 advance adaptors wants. The adaptor will come with a new output shaft for the tranny that needs to be installed which unfortunatly means a rebuild since it has to be disassembled to put the shaft in. If you go to a tranny shop around closing time and just talk with the guys there usually someone will offer to do this for you at thier home. This is what I did and it cost me $400 for the rebuild and a new tourque converter.

Al
<a href=http://community.webtv.net/BIG-MAN-TT/BigMansJeepWorld>My web page</a>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes I am lucky to have the CJ-6 and will be the first to tell you this. The Jeep sits in the garage with a decent running 258, a t14 tranny, a dana 20 transfer, a dana 44 with one peice axles in the rear and a dana 30 in the front and I'm still only in it for $350 ( I feel realy good saying it like that, imagine in the next week when it's 401 powered , big smiles...BIG smiles

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 11:02 PM
BigMan

Actually that motor will bolt to the tranny in the cj6. You might want to put a heavy duty clutch in it though. ANd you'll have to find a manual trans flywheel for a 401. I think they are 401 specific. Then you'll just have to change out the passenger side motor mount, the drivers side is the same. You'll need a bigger radiator most likley too. I'v seen 401's in cj's do wheelies but the 6 is longer than the 5 or 7.
You know you want to sell me that 401!!!! hehe....I'l even throw in my fresh 304!

Al
http://My web page
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That was my thought til the tranny breaks which I'm told is probably a given. I really would like to use the 400 turbo its really fresh (less than 7000 miles according to the previous owner and the shop reciept.) is there a better transfer I should be looking for, or am I just looking to spend money for nothing? I get the feeling that you would like this motor,well let me think about it......No. sorry this ones for me. I will however keep an eye out for another one if you like. The motor pool as it seems is plentiful here in St.Louis,MO (Home of the Super Bowl Champs. in case you forgot) I found this one and three decent 360's in about two weeks. Let me know

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode