Off Roading Forums banner

Transplant 78 Wag heart into 75CJ-6

634 views 12 replies 1 participant last post by  BigMan 
G
#1 ·
For your info yes I am new at this. Ihave an opertunity to purchase a wrecked wag with a fairly fresh 401,auto, and a q-track with low range add and a part time kit all with low miles. My question is how much trouble am I asking for and would I be able to use anything else, like the PS, PB, or the tilt steering column any help would be appreciated in taking my first Jeep plunge.

Jeep Rookie Year, Gonna be A Good ONE

G
#2 ·
The first thing that comes to mind is the need for a rear differential change. The '75 has the differential centered between the wheels and the Q-trac output is not centered. You will need a rear end which has the diff offset to the passenger side (like the front one is). That is a good frame/body to put that drivetrain in though. There's room for the engine and the wheelbase is long enough to handle the auto tranny. I like the CJ6 better than any other CJ, but that's just a personal thing. The power steering will work, but to use the column it will take some fabrication. The pre-76 CJ's have a totally different column and you will need to fabricate bracketry to use any Waggie or '76-up CJ column.

G
#3 ·
I would use the motor and tranny but adapt a different transfer case to it. The quadratrac isn't really good for much other than snow. It is great in the snow though. I might have a dana 20 and the adaptor to put it onto the th 400 for sale before too long. I just got a dana 300 and I'm going to install that.
If you don't buy that thing I would appreciate you letting me know how I could get the motor from him. I'v been looking for a good 401 at a decent price.

Al
My web page

G
#5 ·
Sorry pal, but I had cash and he needed it. $500 put the wag in my driveway (still fighting the wife on her spot in garage) I have a dana 20 in my CJ-6 now are you saying all I need is an adapter plate? Also I feel like I should tell you what a gorrilla the motor ran like on the drive home (sorry I'm gloating I usually get hosed on deals) thanks for your help Jeepers seem like the kind of breed I'll like to be a part of.

G
#6 ·
Thanks for the input. I never even thought to look to the back of the wag because I already have the dana 44 in my CJ-6 . I appreciate your favoritism towards my jeep. I realy didn't know all of the differences in all the CJ's when I traded my little fishing boat on it. I almost feel bad telling you that I only had $350 in the boat...almost Thanks again Jim

G
#7 ·
Let me get this straight You have a cj6 (lucky ass) with a dana 20 and axles in it? And you are looking to put the motor and trany in the cj6 am I right? If so you can contact Parts Mike, he usually has the adaptors for the dana 20 to th 400 for sale. They are used and you might need some extra parts. I think I had to buy seals for the adaptor I got from him but the adaptor ran me $250 I think and it beats the hell out of the $450 advance adaptors wants. The adaptor will come with a new output shaft for the tranny that needs to be installed which unfortunatly means a rebuild since it has to be disassembled to put the shaft in. If you go to a tranny shop around closing time and just talk with the guys there usually someone will offer to do this for you at thier home. This is what I did and it cost me $400 for the rebuild and a new tourque converter.

Al
My web page

G
#8 ·
Yes I am lucky to have the CJ-6 and will be the first to tell you this. The Jeep sits in the garage with a decent running 258, a t14 tranny, a dana 20 transfer, a dana 44 with one peice axles in the rear and a dana 30 in the front and I'm still only in it for $350 ( I feel realy good saying it like that, imagine in the next week when it's 401 powered , big smiles...BIG smiles

G
#9 ·
Actually that motor will bolt to the tranny in the cj6. You might want to put a heavy duty clutch in it though. ANd you'll have to find a manual trans flywheel for a 401. I think they are 401 specific. Then you'll just have to change out the passenger side motor mount, the drivers side is the same. You'll need a bigger radiator most likley too. I'v seen 401's in cj's do wheelies but the 6 is longer than the 5 or 7.
You know you want to sell me that 401!!!! hehe....I'l even throw in my fresh 304!

Al
http://My web page

G
#10 ·
That was my thought til the tranny breaks which I'm told is probably a given. I really would like to use the 400 turbo its really fresh (less than 7000 miles according to the previous owner and the shop reciept.) is there a better transfer I should be looking for, or am I just looking to spend money for nothing? I get the feeling that you would like this motor,well let me think about it......No. sorry this ones for me. I will however keep an eye out for another one if you like. The motor pool as it seems is plentiful here in St.Louis,MO (Home of the Super Bowl Champs. in case you forgot) I found this one and three decent 360's in about two weeks. Let me know

Jim

G
#11 ·
Alright now!! You know what you can do with your Viqueens!! hehe The manual should hold up for some time. Those manual flywheels are not cheap though. So if you want the auto I'd go that way. If the trany is pretty fresh then you could probably have a tranny shop install the different output shaft for a hundred or so. Does your rear axle have the differential centered or ofset?
If it is centered then your options are the dana 20 or the dana 300. The dana 20 is a good unit and the low range is 2 to 1 I think. If parts mike has the adaptor thenthat is $250 or there abouts and then whatever it costs to have the rear shaft put into the tranny.
................................................................................
The dana 300 is a little stronger than the dana 20 but as far as I'm concerned the difference isn't really worth the price difference. The one thing that does make the price worth it is that the 300 has a lower low range. 2.4 to 1 if I remember right. If you want to use a dana 300 it will run you about 200 to 300 for a used unit, the adaptor is from advanced adaptor and it'll run around $470 (ouch), you'll still have to have a shaft put into the tranny. The dana 300 was never used behind the th-400 so there is no factory adaptor to be had like the one for the dana 20.
If the rear axle is offset you have the quadratrac which would not be a good choice if you plan to ever put it in the dirt. Or the dana 18 which is loud becuse the offset rear drivshaft causes the gears to run all the time in the transfer case. It also has a weak point in the case that I believe would split open behind a 401. They make a girdle for the case to reinforce it but the case is still real loud............................................................................................................................................................

I am going to pick up a dana 300 I just bought some time in the next week or so. It is connected to a torgue flight 727 tranny which I'm not sure if I'm going to buy yet. The 727 does bolt to the dana 300. It is also a good heavy tranny but I still like the th-400 better. But if you want I could get you the 727, it will probably need rebuilding though. Plus the 727 needs a kick down cable which is hard to find with the bracket for the amc motor. He does not have the kickdown cable.

Al
My web page

G
#12 ·
Thanks again for all the info, I have the centered unit in the rear and I'm sure it's a dana 20. Lets see what happens, the engine swap is simple enough to do til I figure out the rest. By the way what part of the country are you in, it can't be the midwest cause you would know we were the Rams not the vikings.

Thanks a ton,
Jim

If at first you don't succeed.....
Skydiving is not for you.

G
#13 ·
Oh hell I thought your profile said Minnisota. Brain fart, I didn't even put together the super bowl champs comment. I'm in Milwaukee WI and were just SO used to hearing viking crap here. hehe My bad!
You should have the dana 20, jeep didn't use the 300 untill 1980. It's easy to tell though the 300 has an aluminum cone for the rear output. The 20 is all steel and looks like the "peanut" type case. Good luck with the swap. If ya need info I'm fairly well versed in the th-400 swap options. Been there done that type of thing. You just havn't lived till you put an th-400 to a dana 20 and then dumped it in a cj7 with 5" of suspension lift. Talk about drive line angle problems! Now I'm going to put in a dana 300 which is longer yet! And eventually I'm taking my 4" springs and putting them spring over to give me 4 or 5 more inches of lift for some 38" or 40" boggers! All that lift with a driveshaft barley over a foot!! Hmm. Can you say double cv joint driveshaft!

Al
My web page

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.