Truck-lite LED lights? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Truck-lite LED lights?

Hello,

I was just given a small box full of LED'S. I have been to their site before and was wondering if anyone has used them on their rigs before? I am considering using some as blinkers, brakes, etc.

One concern I have is how BRIGHT they are. I was seeing spots after looking at one while trying them out Are they to bright?

Another concern, I want to get some round LED's for brakes. I didn't see any on their site. Anyone see them before?

Any have any pictures with them installed on something let me know.

Thanks

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 V8/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 01:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Truck-lite LED lights?

Truck-Lite's LED taillight is a combination Stop/Turn/Tail light just like what your Jeep came with except they use LEDs. If you want a separate brake light (stop), you just hook up one of the wires (the brake one).

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 01:46 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I really wanted the Truck-Lite LED's for my flatbed I recently built, but the prices made me turn to standard bulb round tail lights...

I am pretty sure the LED's will be bright enough - just wish I had gotten those for free like you [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<a href="http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota">
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 02:29 PM
Can't Get Enough

Can you supply a model or part number for Truck lite L.E.D. please?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They have a bunch of different sizes and configurations. Click here to see them. http://www.truck-lite.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 09:01 PM
BigMan

Semi trucks are now using the round led cluster lights. I went to this round style light when I did my flush mount taillight setup. I wanted to get the leds but at the time I was finishing up the jeep I couldn't afford the 80 bucks per light. They are worth it though. They last FOREVER!! and are super bright. They are legal.

Al
<a href=http://community.webtv.net/BIG-MAN-TT/BigMansJeepWorld>My web page</a>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 09:25 PM

Same here...I was set on getting some when I did the flush mounting thing, but the price turned me to the $7 bulb lights. Flush mounted tail lights still look cool regardless of which type they are. A bit harder to smash too.

'79 CJ-7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 09:37 PM

I worked at a trucking company for several years, and I can tell you one thing,
I don't build any kind of trailer with out using Truck-Lites.
We really had great luck with them.
They are a slick design, made from good materials for the most part, easy to mount, all the connectors, pigtails and harnesses are really available almost everywhere.
Very reasonably priced in most places, and easy to install and change when the odd failure does occur.

I do like those LED tail lights, very easy to see at night, and especially in the rain or fog.
Sounds like you lucked out, and if you decide you don't want them, it doesn't sound like you will have a problem selling them.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 11:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just wanted to add that Trucklite isn't the only manufacture of these. Signalstat and Grote also have them. You can get Signalstat at any Napa, and Grote at Car Quest among others, also try Truck stops, You might be able to pick them up cheaper there.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 12:45 AM
chasejeep7

Hey guys,

Well LEDs are great not only for brightness, but many use them for their ability to run with about 90% less enegry from the battery and that they last ten times longer than any bulb. Regular bulbs suck power, wasting energy through the filament. LED's are a diffracted mini beam of light.

I've seen red (often most common), green, yellow, orange, and blue. Red, orange, and yellow require the least voltage, but the blue and most greens need about three times what the others do. The latest word is that white is coming out onto the market. Very expensive, but think of the reverse lights that could make! Each color of LED has it's own "angular intensity peaks." You'd recognize this if you ever had one shine right at you, but when turned away, it dims and then has another bright point. Those angles differ by the atoms of the material (I believe a metal) that the beam of energy passes through.

That's all technical, though. If you use LEDs, they work great and look cool. They have to be used in clusters or have an extra diffractions shield. This is usually just the taillight lens cover. If anyone's seen those Pirahna brand LED taillamps, you'd know what I mean. The new Cadillacs have LEDs now -- very noticable when cruising at night -- be on the lookout.

So LEDs, as far as I know, have no drawbacks. They are more reliable than bulbs and will probably outlast any vehicle's life. Well, forget that -- I forgot we have Jeeps.

Keep Jeepin
ChaseJeep7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode