SpringTime in Sierras - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

SpringTime in Sierras

I had a chance to get up into the Sierra Nevadas for a little exploring yesterday. The sun was out all day, and it was about 70 deg. at 7500 ft, this is an area just north of Lake tahoe. I have a few pictures but can only post one at a time for now,(Im trying to build a web page, what a pain in the butt).It was a great day, Jeep performance was awsome, I just love spring time.
Enjoy the pics, the 1st one is just below the tree line.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-35532-SierraRocks-3.JPG (23.2 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Re: SpringTime in Sierras

This photo was taken at about 7600 ft.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-35533-SierraRocks-2.JPG (33.4 KB, 1 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

OOps,
That last photo was at about 8200 ft ASL, this one was at about 7600 ft.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-35534-SierraRocks-1.JPG (34.5 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Great pics, looks like loads of fun.

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 11:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We are about 50 miles due south at 4500 FT and it was just beautiful up here yesterday. Nice JEEP! Is that a receiver pocket for side nerf bars??

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Dave,
The reciever brackets on the side are actualy just above the rocker panel protectors. They are tied into the frame with outriggers and serve as emergency anchor points durring side roll situations. And as a hook set for assisting others, they accept any standard reciver shackle. But they also serve as step ups when used around town, with the full cage,no tilt steering column, 35" tires and 6" of lift it can be almost like exercise getting in and out with out a step. When off roading the steps are removed with one pin, and covers put on to keep debris or water from getting in. Here is a pic of the steps when they are installed

Jeff
89 Wrangler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-35551-Sidesteps.jpg (17.3 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 12:28 PM

Thats very interesting,, I would like to see the underside and inside of the Jeep to get a visual on how those are attached. Looks like something i would like to add to my Jeep.
GP'n

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 01:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd be interested in more pics on that too! I'm sure I could adapt it to my '56. I may end up doing a SOA on this jeep, so I'm going to have to add some sort of a step. I'm 6'3", so it's not that big of a deal for me, but my wife still wants to drive the jeep and she's only 5'3". This would be a dang good solution!! TIA...

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/d18, 27/44, 2.5"(soon), 33's(soon), cage.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 01:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nice Jeep! is that a bulletproof bumper on front?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

No, the bumper isnt a Bulletproof MFG, I wish. they manufacture some very nice stuff, but very expensive. I have a picture of their rear bumper system on the wall in front of my desk in my Construction Trailer. But I finally decided on building my own using a Tomken that I already had as a starting point. The front is a Smittybilt. I cut the outside tubes off on an angle,(since they were smashed up like an aluminum can anyways), and welded a 1/4" steel plate on both ends. To mount the shackle brackets, 1/2" steel plates were welded to the front outside edges with 1/2 steel dowls welded through and attached to a 1/4" steel backing plate. I have the extra hook and shackles at the outside edges as an extra quick attachment point, but they are really there to protect the tow bar mounts,(with nothing in the mounts they were getting crushed, and unusable when I needed them to flat tow). The High Lift jack is mounted using through bolted "3/8" Beam Clamps"(electricians use them to mount conduit to structural steel beams) they are rock solid and cost about $3 each at an electrical supply. I beefed up the gussets wherever it looked weak, and I keep saying Im going to get around to welding a reciever hitch inside the lower tube. Its an extremely tough set up now,(I have landed HARD on the outside edges, many times, with no denting at all), I recoat it with a fresh coat of paint, over spray on truck bed liner, fairly often to prevent rust and keep it looking sharp. The front portion of the fenders were also cut away and and trimmed out due to the constant damage repairs required on them.
As far as the side receiver hitches ill take some pictures today and try to get more details. Here is a better picture with a little more light on the front bumper. I cant post really clear pictures due to the limited amount of bytes allowed.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-35596-DirtClimb-1.JPG (43.0 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode