YJ Modification Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 09:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

YJ Modification Questions

I've got a 90 YJ with a dying 4 banger. I've cooked up the plan to get a chevy smallblock in there - and yes, I'm too stubborn and stupid (not to mention poor) to do it full-tilt by swapping the rest of the driveline also (the dream is to use an NV-4500, Atlas II and Dana 60 setup). I know about the chance I'm taking! Anyway, my questions are:
- Is there any vehicle I can grab a radiator from?
- Can I use the Chevy power steering pump?
- How much will this drop my front end?

Okay, so the next category is lift. I have a 2" kit on now that has had it. With 30's on, I have maybe 2" of tire clearance and my springs are nearly flat (that's why I asked that last question!) I need some lift! I want 33's and the space for some articulation since I actually do go off-road. However, I need to retain streetability since this is my sole vehicle for now - use is about 60/40 on/off-road. I've got about $600-800 for all suspension mods.

- What's the recommended manufacturer? I've heard nasty things about SkyJacker and SuperLift lately...
- With the V-8, how much height do I need to run 33's and maintain clearance articulation? Should I look at combining spring lift with shackle lift?? Opinions here, please!

Thanks for any input!!

Jason Perkins
90 YJ soft top
It'll be a real Jeep someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: YJ Modification Questions

I saw a post on the "for sale - all other" board. The guy has a 2.5" superlift springover kit for sale. Those are supposed to be pretty good kits for the YJ. That will give you around 6.5" of lift. Plenty of clearance to off road 33's or even 35's.

Good luck!
Axlesupagain

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd look to go SOA. Use your 2in. springs, they're back to about stock now anyways, and maybe an Add a Leaf. As for the radiator, id get some measurements, (how much room you have) and head for the junk yard. You'll have to Fab some mounts most likely, but if you can do a small block swap, a radiator should be easy.
BJ

"If you chose not to decide, you still have made a Choice" RUSH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 01:08 AM

I run an SOA and 35" tires on my 89 YJ.
Front set up is SOA, with 1 1/2" National Spring 5 leaf spring pack, custom made shackle reverse with 2" of lift and 2" of forward relocation of front axle incorporated into the design, modified front shock towers to handle the 33" R5000s.
Rear set up is SOA,(over Ford 8.8 axle) with 2 1/2" Pro comp leafs, and 1 1/4" extended shackles, modified shock mounts to a 45 deg angle using a custom made cross member as the upper attachment point,33" R 9000s with in cab adjustment.
The system nets about 7" of lift with outstanding flex and articulation. It works very well in steep terrain at keeping the rear tires to the ground. Front and rear droop and compression are both about equal with maybe a small edge to the front, both net aprox 9" of drop and 5" of compresion from their neutral posture. Well over 1200 RTI on 20 deg ramps, and 1000 on 30 deg., it ramps best when the rear springs are on their last leg, but does not perform nearly as well on steep rocks, at that stage, due to the rear springs inability to prevent axle wrap, and subsequent wheel hop.
On road handeling is fine with very little wandering at speed, very moderate nose dive under hard braking.
The drawback to this system is that the rear leaf packs take a beating, and rarely last more than a few months. Ive attached a picture showing the elevation acheived above the 35" tires while on a fairly flat surface.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-35693-ContemplatingtheClimb.JPG (24.1 KB, 0 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put a 350 in my 89 YJ and kept my np231 t-case. No problems yet. I also still have the stock axles (with 4.11 gears now--you should have the same since you had a 4 banger--I had a 6 cyl.) My axles are still holding on fine--front has a locker the rear is posi. I got my radiator from 4wd hardware--$250--it is made for this swap and required no mod's. My front end didnt drop at all. I don't know about the steering pump.
As for the lift-I run a black diamond 4" lift cost $450 complete with everything!! and $150 to have it installed!! This was in Memphis Tenn at John Walls 4x4 shop. 901-867-3325
I also added longer shackles--hypershackles ($150)in rear for a lot of flex and a shackle reversal kit ($200) in front for better ride. Both the front and rear shackles are 5" from center hole to center hole. I run 33" swampers --plenty of flex and drives great- lots of power. Doesn't wander on road, doesn't nose dive during braking, steering is very responsive and feels safe. I also have sway bar disconnects and trac bar disconnects which I always leave off--I can't tell a big difference onroad without them so I just leave them off.
All this can be expensive but is worth it. A spring over can be even more expensive but then again you can run 35's.!!!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:43 AM

The Chevy 350 is 150lbs lighter than a 258 (yes I know you said you had a 6, I'm just giving a comparison) and the radiator from a 258 or 360-powered vehichle will be adequate. Go to the junkyard and find some 360-powered Grand Wagoneers and see if the radiator will fit.

My Jeep is just a leaky submarine in disquise
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 06:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the responses!! The only hesitation I have with SOA regards axle wrap and the things I've heard about SOA and road use not mixing well. I do need this vehicle capable of being used for 2-3 hr drives on road. That and I don't know any shops around here (Southeastern KY) that I would trust to do something this extensive and critical. And if any of you have done the swap (jun11!!), what are you using for a power steering pump? Tell me you're not running 33's with manual steering!! If you are, I'll bet you have cannons for arms with no time in the gym! Thanks again, guys!!

Jason Perkins
90 YJ soft top
It'll be a real Jeep someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode