Borla Headers on Auto CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Borla Headers on Auto CJ

We just decided that getting the Borla header instead of the Pacesetter Headers for about a dozen reasons. We have an '85 CJ7 with the 258 & auto tranny. In the carparts.com site, it says Manual tranny only, part #17053, on the Borla site it lists part #17053MT, for manual transmissions, but in the 4WD hardware catalog, it lists the part #17053 for the Borla header & just has a side note that "Vehicles with automatic transmissions may require linkage modification". HAS ANYONE INSTALLED A BORLA HEADER ON A CJ WITH A 258 AND AUTO TRANNY? If so what was involved with the "linkage modification". I searched this BBS & the Off-road.com tech section & saw no tech tips on this. Thanks for your help!!

my.treeway.com/rickmelwest

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 02:36 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Borla Headers on Auto CJ

I think it's 1-800-GO-BORLA. Talk to 'em like a Dutch uncle and tell 'em you want the straight scoop. ??????

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks, I didn't have their 1-800 #, only the standard number, I will call them tomorrow, but I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had experience installing and living with this product. A little first hand technical experience by someone who's been there, done that, would help alot. Thanks [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try this web site only it has a 4.0 head conversion. Some of the info might be what your are looking for. Check out all of John's

pages.http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/PSPump.htm

1983 CJ7
Howell Fuel Injection
4.0 Head
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2000, 08:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey,
I have a buddy that bought a borla and hated it... He ended up getting a headman and he loves it. I'm not to sure why he didn't like it though... Oh but to answer you question is that he put in a B&M shifter. It solved the trouble of the trans. linkage problem because the B&M is a cable linkage. Might be an option for you too... No nasty rerouting exhaust or linkage just take all the column shifter junk out, put in a B&M. Only like $140 though Summit and its very sweet. K well sorry to be longwinded but hope it helped a little
Jake

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 08:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The problem I have with the Borla exhuast is that it seems to makes your car sound like a bumble bee "RocknCJ told me that analogy" Then all I can think of are those guys in thier rice grinders with exhuast tips the size of a 55-gallon drum. I want 8 cylinder sound from a 6 cylinder plant.

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I get the "8 cylinder sound" from a 6 cylinder, 4.2L to be exact. It kills my son, he has basically the same setup, different year and his sounds like a six cylinder. I have a pacesetter header and MPI and it don't ping, take a long time to warm up, etc. I start it up, wait about 30 seconds for real good oil pressure and bolt.

Bird

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the pacesetter also with a 2-chamber flowmaster and no cat . Everyone tells me it sounds real nice. No bumble bees for me

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

The problem is, I gotta keep my cat. I really appreciated the positive comments AustnJPR made about the Pacesetter Headers & I was really close to getting them, but some other really negative comments from people got me away. I was able to get the Borla through carparts.com for $275 including freight with the 1/3 off thing. (did I just make everyone groan in pity for ordering from carparts.com). We did call Borla & they had us call someone else (a jeep dealer) who explained what we had to do to the linkage, didn't sound to hard, especially since we have the whole Jeep apart right now. By the way, Rick said that when he called 1-800-GO BORLA he got a massage parlor, we called the regular number, but thanks for the help. I plan to fully document the install & let you know about the sound

Thanks
http://my.treeway.com/rickmelwest

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode