'98 TJ Exhaust manifold - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

\'98 TJ Exhaust manifold

Has anybody heard that the exhaust manifold on the '98 TJ's will crack easily? I read an article in my local newspaper that the exhaust manifold on the inline 6 cylinder motors for 1998 was made from less than high quality steel and they are likely to crack at a seam when under pressure for lengthy periods of time. Let me know what you have heard.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'46 CJ 2-A Rusty, but still fun to drive and easy to work on.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 01:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'98 TJ Exhaust manifold

The exhaust manifold cracks on all 4.0 liter engines over quite a few years. they are currently on the 5th part number for the 98TJ manifold. I have cracked two. The last one went while I was travelling from Salt Lake to Vegas. The leak was so bad that it melted the bushings out of the drivers side motor mount by the time I hit Vegas. The manifold cost $450 and I replaced it in an empty lot in Vegas before I drove the rest of the way home. (So. Cal.)
This latest version has some ribs on it to help displace heat. We'll see how long it lasts.

Axlesupagain

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Re: \'98 TJ Exhaust manifold

Thanks for the info. I have a '98 TJ and an '87 Cehrokee both with the 4.0 Liter inline six and I have never had a problem with the exhaust manifold. I saw the article and it made me wonder. I guess I am just lucky with what I have. The cherokee has 157,000 miles on it and never once has the manifold cracked on me. My dad bought it in '86 and gave it to me a couple years ago, so, I know for sure that it has not cracked being that I am the second owner and the first owner raised me. Good luck with your new manifold and lets hope it lasts for a few more years.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'46 CJ 2-A Rusty, but still fun to drive and easy to work on.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode