chattering gears in TH400? what is going on? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

chattering gears in TH400? what is going on?

when the engine is running, i cant shift back into park. it chatters like gears hitting. also, i can't shift the transfercase while the engine is running either. that crunches and chatters as well. its a d20 t-case..i'v never had an auto before, so bear with me and explain what the hell is going on here. thanks

304/th400/ford 9" 6"lift 15x10/35's
I just can't wait to drive the damn thing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: chattering gears in TH400? what is going on?

Based on what you info provided, My first thought is that you need to readjust your shift linkage. As long as you can drive without hearing that chatter, I don't think its any real bad deal....

DrummondCJ
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 12:09 PM
Official Historian

It sounds like you have the transfer case in neutral when you are trying to shift into park.

To shift the transfer case, stop with the trans in neutral. While holding the brakes firmly, put the transmission in park. Now you can shift the transfer case.

If you get the trans and transfer case in neutral, you will have to turn the engine off to get the trans in park or the transfer case out of neutral. What happens is the transmissions output shaft is spinning and there is no way to stop it if they are both in neutral. The trick is to not let it get to spinning by using the parking prawl to hold it still. You just have to keep the load off the drivetrain while the transmission is in park with the brakes so you can shift the transfer case. It's kind of a long and clumsy explanation but I hope it helps.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 05:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] WILL has nailed it for you. You can never allow both boxes to be in neutral at the same time with the engine running. If you do, as he pointed out, the intermediate shaft will spin uncontrollably. You have to "DOG" the TH400 by putting it in PARK, then shift the transfer case. If you get discombuberated, just shut down the engine....go to Park....then start over. Just remember this......the TH400 is like a wild colt. It wants to RUN....even in neutral.....just from the drag in the torque converter. My '97 Grand Cherokee is the very same way. Neutral-Neutral with engine running = Bad Idea![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJDave, you and Will are describing the way to shift the the transfer case,,,and I agree 100%,,,but what I read out of CJ8er's post is:.. he can't even shift into park, "with his engine running", without hearing the chatter. No mention of having the T-case in neutral while he's trying to shift., just that he couldn't shift the T-case without hearing it grind in the T-case as well..
I may have read to much into his post,,but my answer was based on the fact a very similar occurance has happened to me. What I found was the slide nut on the shift linkage had loosened and I was no longer making a complete shift, was kinda inbetween selections so I never quite got into park, and I would hear that ugly "the gears aren't meshing sound" A little adjustment and re-tightening the linkage and I was back in business.
Until I figured out what was wrong however, I would also hear that ugly grinding noise when I was trying to shift the T-case. If I recall, I had to shift the trans into neutral, shift the T-case into neutral, then shift the trans into park, before I could get the T-case to finally shift into low gear. Simply putting the trans into park wouldn't cut it, in fact in my case, I couldn't move the T-case lever from high to neutral with the trans in park. It wasn't until I re-adjusted the slide nut on the linkage that my auto shifted like normal.
Anyway, just some other info for what its worth...Its a real pain the shift the T-case into low when the Jeep is on some degree of incline/slope. If its possible, shift into low gear on fairly level terrain, before your in the rough stuff, it will save you a lot of "blue hazed" words later.

DrummondCJ
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 08:41 PM
Official Historian

Like Drummond, I was relating my personal experiences with this trans. I think between the two of us is where the problem is.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 08:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks guys, man,i like the standard better!!none of this messing around! i'll give it a whirl tonight and let you know how it goes. I had no idea that you cant have both cases in Neutral at the same time. this actually happened first with the tcase in 4low and the tranny in neutral, i tried to shift up to park, and that horrible ratchiting sound..awful. thanks. matt

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 08:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Actually, Matt, if the t-case was firmly in 4Lo, that couldn't happen.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] The t-case must have been in "N", or you popped it into "N".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Boy, do I EVER hate single-lever transfer cases.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] We are AT THIS MOMENT converting the NP205 case in our FS GM 4X4 to dual levers.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] As far as the auto tranny pros and cons, it's a matter of APPLICATION. We intentionally sought out a TH400/Quadra-Trac CJ-7 as the basis of the super SNOJEEP. Nothing beats an auto with Quadra-Trac in snow, except maybe my '97 ZJ with the NV242 t-case.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 10:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

DAVE, YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, it slips back into neutral immedaitely after i put it into 4lo. i have to hold it in position. is there an easy way to convert the d20 to a twin stick? that would be nice. although it sits way to the right now, almost in the passenger floor. i am already missing sheetmetal from the center hump due to this setup. jeez i miss my 4 speed. thanks

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 03:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yep....you can twin stick that D20. They do that to D300 cases all the time.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode