Loaded, semi-loaded, unloaded Calipers?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Loaded, semi-loaded, unloaded Calipers??

I checked out Carparts.com for calipers for my G-Waggie axles. They have three different options. Loaded, semi-loaded, and unloaded calipers. I assume one has pads, and one doesn't. But that doesn't explain the three options? Also, I've decided to stick with rear drums, and need help finding a piece for them. I need the backing plate. There's the drum, then all the drum brake parts, and then there's a backing plate. You have to remove the axle shafts to get it. So that kind of ruins the chance of getting one at a junkyard, or does it? Also, think it would be stupid if I got some drums from a junkyards and had them machined? If so, any other trucks I can nab some off, or other year G-waggies or Cherokees? Thanks a bunch! Sorry for the long post

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Loaded, semi-loaded, unloaded Calipers??

This can't be. No one on here has a clue what I'm talking about???

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 06:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i loaded caliper comes with pads, new brake hose, and is ready to go. A unloaded one is nothing but the caliper. A semiloaded, not sure but i bet it only comes with pads.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 09:42 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have never heard of a semi-loaded caliper and all the loadeds I have bought come only with the pads. This was from stores though.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 10:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Backing Plate:

I got mine from a junk yard, they are not hard to get off. Just be sure that it's the right one - there are a number of different sizes for rear 44s. I THINK (measure to be sure) that the waggy, like mine, has 11 X 2 brakes - this is the important measurement for drums, as well as bolt pattern. The backing plate also differs even if it is the same size - scout backing plates are different than waggy blah blah blah.

I ended up ordering parts from a place in Vancouver, BC, and got the wrong backing plate. He was good to send me the right one once I made him aware, but it took another 2 weeks to get it.

I know you were looking into disks, you might want to reconsider because even used drums are going to be 30 ~ 70$. If you need 2 of those, plus backing plates (about same cost), you are already talking 120 ~ 280$ - and that's for USED junk!

If I had to do it again, I would have gone disks, but at the time I couldn't get a straight answer on the parts that I needed. I still may go disks next winter.

Think about it. I've gotten used parts from Vancouver, BC, and some place in California. If you want their phone numbers, email me and I'll try to dig them up for you.

ps. If you go disks, I'll be interested in how it turns out - you can be my gineau pig.

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 203 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode