Leaf Springs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Leaf Springs

Well all, it's slow going but I'm still working on getting those one-ton axles under the Scout... I haven't had a lot of time to work on it, but one problem we did notice was the spring perches aren't quite right, but darn close... In order to make up the small difference, I've decided to do the Front Spring Shackle Reversal at this time and make up the difference in the spring mounts. I've also figured this to be a good time to look for 2 1/2"-wide springs that will have more flex than the Scout's 2"-wide factory springs AND still carry the 345.

So, anyone with a set of CJ or Small Truck springs? The Scout's springs are 42" long for the front and 56" long in the rear. Changing the mounts to accommodate different springs doesn't bother me either... ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Paladin

My Scout is like my website, I'm working on it. 79 IH ScoutII, Anything else is just a 4X4... 345, 1-ton axles, Detroits F/R. 99 F-350 SD, PowerStroke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Leaf Springs

I have a spare set of stock CJ springs, front and rear. Drop me an e-mail...
[email protected]

Farmjeep

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 07:28 AM

Do you still have the OEM Scout Axles? are they D44's? Do you want to sell them? Thansk:

Rodney C
1985 CJ7,302 V8,T18,D20,SOA,Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End...
1990 Samurai,87 drive line,SOA+2.5" Add-A-Leaf,4.16's,5.12's,Pony Carb...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 08:41 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I have plenty of spring info here: http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota/spring_swap_info.htm [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

A good all around swap would be a Rancho 44044 lift spring... great flex, will handle the heavy engine too...
For a cheaper route though - get some BDS 4" lift YJ springs - about $60 each...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 09:27 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Rodney, I know where there is a yard in midcoast Maine that has 4-5 Scouts, and the guy will probably let the axles go fairly cheap. If you want, I have torches and we can get them on any weekend as he's only closed on Thursdays. The yard is probably 170 miles from Calais. Not sure of the gear ratios, but I did see a set with 3.54's, not sure about the 4.10's or 4.27's though as some have no tires and are hard to get under. I asked about a rear Ford D60 (8 lug) with 4.10's and he said $100 though, as long as I take it out. If it's a long drive there and back in a day, our house is in the area or we could tent camp, it's a nice area with some nice 4 wheeling trails.

Come to think about it, there is a yard up here near Winter Harbor that has two Scouts, not sure of the ratios or how much the guy wants for them. I asked him about front CJ springs (he has a junk auto CJ), and he wanted $50 each for them if I remove them, kinda pricey (His reply was "Well, that's 1/2 the price of new"). Let me know and we'll go get them.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode