Look at this 79 cj-5? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Look at this 79 cj-5?

Hey, i found a cj-5 in auto trader that looks fairly good, its a 79 304 v8, and someone told me that 79 304's have the t-18 trannys which are really good. this guy said he doesnt off road with it, never has, and said he doesnt believe in off roading and hates it, so that means it hasnt been off roading. it has 66K miles on it. he is asking 5,000, i think thats a lil much, and it seems he doesnt know much about jeeps so i believe you can get him down a lot. you all think i should go out there and look at it. he also said there were no problems with it and it still runs strong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 12:51 PM
Addict

Re: Look at this 79 cj-5?

Sounds like its worth looking at! Find out for sure what tranny and xcase it has.

Jeff

Why drive a luxo-box SUV when you can lay in the dirt busting your knuckles under old iron? '77 CJ-5, '64 S2A Land Rover
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 12:53 PM

Sounds like a good deal if he is honest about how it was used. I am leaving tomorrow rice but would be happy to help you look when I get home next saturday. I'll sell mine for $7000 and you can put it on a lift and see for a fact that this has been a garaged daily driven 84 CJ7 Laredo. No leaks, No mud, No rust. I have already done some stuff like TR upgrade and 1 peice axles or I would sell it for what I paid $6500.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 01:22 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I would bet strongly that the Jeep will have the T150 3-speed. Thats what mine had before I swapped in a '79 T18a. (Kept my parts in the same model year!)

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 01:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the guy doesn't belive in offroading and hates it soo much wh does he have a Jeep?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 01:44 PM

Well I like off roading but also appreciate the value of a peice of american history that can no longer be bought in good shape unless they have been taken care of. My jeep has seen dirt once since I bought it and that was driving up to my friends cabin in n. georgia. I love jeeps and everything related to them but I also like my jeep to be clean and driven to work every day. My sami on the other hand has been the toy. Do you know it only takes 2 guys to rock one over on it's side. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 04:14 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Andrew
If referring to my other post , I meant to say that in 79 the T18 was offered as an optional tranny behind the 304(V8) (only for that one year regarding V8`s) . I think it sounds good and I would go look at it . Bring some coveralls or whatever and look carefully underneath . Look close at the rear frame rails( in front of rear bumper) and look for rust there. Look the body over well , for 5 grand you should expect it to be in decent shape . It is more than likely a T150 3 speed . A good tranny , but geared a little high for some . Take some pics and post em here , I would like to see what it looks like . Good luck !!

Jeff

<font color=black>CJ.... Need I Say More ?? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode