Finishing rattle can paint! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Finishing rattle can paint!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Recently we acquired four 16X6.5 GM pickup wheels to fit our 8-bolt FS 4X4 so we can convert to the "new" 16" tires from the older 16.5" size. The wheels needed paint, so we cleaned and sanded the dings out, and sprayed the backsides rattle can black enamel, sun baked to hardness. So far so good. Then the second day we warmed them up again and sprayed the all-important front sides with rattle can "wheel" paint to match the silver-grey stock color. TERRIBLE JOB. The finish did not smooth out and I could just see future road dirt and crud from those gravel roads in Iowa clinging to that rough paint surface.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Someone on this BBS was talking about surface sanding after paint so I tried it with a grocery store paper bag cut in strips. It was PERFECT! The paint feels nice and smooth now and we feel a heck of a lot better about how things turned out.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Tire shop HERE WE COME![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 09:24 AM

Re: Finishing rattle can paint!

Dave, I never thought I'd see the day a rattlecan post would come from you. I would have guessed that you would have fabbed up some powder coating monstrosity that you could run a 40' rig in. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
J/K

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Finishing rattle can paint!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Heh heh....actually, I HAVE a nice Binks professional grade spray gun and all the stuff. but the truth is that I don't really like to paint. Luckily I always had someone working for me who was an ace paint guy so I had THEM do all the paint work.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I KNOW how, but I just don't like to do it. I'm so particular that I usually cannot do a good enough job to satisfy myself. Like I said, I have been fortunate to always have someone around who was good at it and would rather paint than do anything else.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]We had a Mexican kid working for us at one time who could hang more paint in a single pass than any human being I ever saw. He paints truck bodies for a big used truck dealer now and they just love his work.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode