Yeppee, this thing blows! ;o) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeppee, this thing blows! ;o)

Well the long avaited moment arrived. This thing blows good air! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Now what? I ended up using a TJ belt (no I don't have TJ envy) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and routed the belt as was suggested by Brad Kilby from onboardair.com using the TJ belt routing. As it turned out the belt was almost a little short cuz the TJ idle pulley is a little smaller and my botched compressor mount bracketry is a little higher than stock. Oh well I made it fit by loosening the adjuster screw all the way. That took me an hour cuz it was rusted and I had to take the hole power steering pump and bracket off to be able to get the screw out so I can clean it up and get it going. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I test ran the engine up to 3000 rmp for a short time and it didn't throw the belt. Actually the belt was not warm or appear to be grinding anywhere so far. Amazing, given the fact that the compressor was basically eye-balled in place. Keeping fingers crossed and spare belt in tool box though. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The thing is actually pumping pretty good air. Maybe it's not a York but Brad said that this older model has actually close the same displacement as the big York compared to later Sanden models which were smaller. Whatever it is it's got good pressure even at idle. Now what do I need to get to get the air to the tires? Once I'm done with this it's onto the onboard welder. (while waiting for the locker for my 8.8 rear)
Here are some pics:
http://www.webphotos.com/member/7612/138604.jpg
http://www.webphotos.com/member/7612/138605.jpg
http://www.webphotos.com/member/7612/138607.JPG
http://www.webphotos.com/member/7612/138608.jpg

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 01:18 PM

Re: Yeppee, this thing blows! ;o)

I just took some measurements of the sanden compressor that was laying around the shop here and compared it to the compressor from the 5.0(make unknown yet) and they don't match up but the compressor from the merc is good and I should be able to use that. I would get lucky with that setup though since I can use a factory belt.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah, we all have to do some fabbing no matter what. Now I have to find some brass fitting to hook up to the 3/4 NPT (I think) compressor fitting and reduce it to 3/8 or 1/4. Needless to say Home Dep. or Lowes don't have any usable air pulmming that size. Any ideas? Anybody knows what thread these compressors have on their fittings?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try to find a Grainger, if the fitting is sold, they carry it or can get it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 02:30 PM
Mud in my Veins

http://www.mcmaster.com

These guys used to have everything (and I DO mean EVERYTHING!) and were great to deal with. If it's promptness, service, and right the first time you want, check them out.

Caver Dave
'68 Jeepster Wagon
225, 3spd, & road salt A/C
Vintage Jeeps(ters) have Character,
new Jeeps just have payments.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 04:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have to say that you may have difficulty finding the proper fitting. I was never able to find the right fitting for my AMC York. I went to several supply houses and even a custom hose maker. None of them had the proper AC fitting. I ended up using the factory AC hose. I cut the rubber off the hose which left the connector and a metal section about 3"s long. I then used a standard compression fitting to adapt the pipe(metal section)to the connector I chose. There are some pics on my website of the completed setup.

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 07:12 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I don't know if my luck is great or what, but I found a perfect fit adapter that screws onto the York and reduces to a 3/8 NPT. It was found at Lowes in the plumbing section and it works great. I didn't even know there was a problem!

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

OK so how do you measure the size of NPT fittings? I basically just disconnected the AC tubes so I have the factory L on both holes (kind of like on the previous picture). So now I have two male ends, one bigger than the other. I measured with a caliper across the threads and the bigger is 7/8 the smaller is 3/4. So is that what size they are? I only need a reducer for the smaller since that is the discharge port. So do I need a 3/4 to 1/4 or something? I guess in the worst case I could go back to the yard and take the tube with the nut on it and fit a hose on it with clamps. Then I can put in a recuced nipple on the other end. I don't know much about this NPT spec. ???

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 10:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I can't remember, but I think mine was a 1/2 or 3/4. It was pretty straight forward. Since I had to take...hold on...okay now I remember what I did. Do you still have the light weight metal cover that covered the back of the ports? They are the same thread and size as the discharge side of the compressor (on a York). Take one off and test fit it to the front...then go to Lowes and buy the same thread count!

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode