Off Roading Forums banner

Rear tail lights

363 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Paddy Whacker 
G
#1 ·
I've noticed on a few jeep pics out there that some people are ditching their factory lights that stick out in the back and cutting a hole and mounting a light flush. What lights are you using and will they plug directly into the existing harness? Thanks..

David
Missouri

#2 ·
I use the cheap 7 dollar Napa red ones, that if I break one it's okay. They do make some neat LED ones for a lot more. Trailer supply shops have them as well. There are screw on ones and pressure fit styles.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!

#3 ·
The grommet or flange mount styles of tractor/trailor lights work well and are very affordable. I have a set, that I used for over a year, that I bought at a Petersons dealer for about $8 each.
The cost of the LEDs though have recently dropped drasticaly. I purchased and installed a set, of LEDs a month or so ago, that I picked up, at an industrial lighting store in Vegas, for $19 each plus the pig tail $4. They are bright will last a long time, draw almost no current, and are completely sealed watertight. They installed right into the old holes from the Petersons. You doneed to get an electric blinker control though, if your running an old thermal blinker control.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"

#4 ·
I also used the cheap, sealed ones. Whole project cost me $25, including sixpack and jigsaw blades. You can use a hole saw, but I didn't want to buy the bit. You will have to splice the light wiring into your factory harness, but that is no big deal. Only two wires per side (the third wire is for reverse, you will need to provide for a remote reverse light mounted somewhere else). And you will have to run a new ground, as your factory lights ground through the bolts that hold the unit on. I just ran a pigtail over to the inner fender well. It's a very easy mod to do, just measure about a hundred times so everything is straight and equal on both sides before you start a hackin'.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org

#5 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif We got tired of catching the sides of our jackets and coveralls on the edges of the stock CJ lamps every time we walked close to the back end of the CJ and at the same time we wanted to do something about the lazy fuel fill setup, so we installed a Chevrolet Route Van gas filler up high where the RH tail lamp used to be and then used two NAPA surface mount tail lamps below. We did this when we put on the diamond plate corners./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#6 ·
Thats definately on the to do list. They work so much better in the woods too./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif It figures I was always ripping them off on the trail and ever since I commited myself to doing this swap.......no more breakage./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I'll change them the next time I trash one.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"

#7 ·
Mine are the stock CJ lights. Just cut a hole the shape of the lights and use longer screws for the lense so that they screw into the body. And yes, they do plug into the existing harness.

80 CJ7 258 T176
36X12.5 Swampers
Fiberglass body

#8 ·
I just did the LED's this weekend, I went with the "Supernova" Full pattern ones with the stainless steel flange (from Grote). They were a bit pricy ($35 a piece), but I love them so much that I kept getting out of the Jeep Saturday night to look at them. Definitely a Jeep thing, my friends thought I was nuts.

'84 CJ-7, 4.2, 3.5" Lift, 31's, YJ tub, TR upgrade, Moser 1 piece, LED's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.