Broken Bolts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Broken Bolts

Ok folks, CJ is down to a frame, sandblasted and primed($27)
Problem, I have only 6 broken bolts!! The bolts in question are those unimportant ones at the front left side (steering box) hahaha. On the left side the first hole (spring mount) is good, the next four are gone, the 2nd and 3rd are knocked through, 4th and 5th are drilled out, What is the best way to remedy the situation? On the right side, only the 5th hole is the problem, insert is spinning. How do I remedy this? Sorry so long and as always, all advice is very appreciated. Thanx, Rick

'85 CJ7 Bone Stock, in pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 08:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Broken Bolts

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Er......my moonguys are not quite sure what the question is here? Are you a-wantin' to get out some broken off bolts? Or is you wantin' to SUBSTITUTE for bolts.....actually the captured nuts......that are entirely missing? Elucidate please![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 10:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJD, I guess I am looking for a suitable replacement. I have the two that knocked out and the other three that must be drilled out. They appear to be inserts. Are they originally welded internally? The two that I knocked through appear to be like a standard nut with a machined area for a press fit. Were they also tacked in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 10:25 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I put a new steering box on my CJ not long ago and had a couple of nuts that spun in the frame. One I was able to torch a small hole in the side of the frame, weld the nut to the frame and fill up the hole at the same time. The other one I cut a small hole and was able to get a screwdriver in there and hold the nut. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has talked ugly about AMC for putting welded nuts inside the frame!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 10:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Yeah, factories do stuff like that before the frame is boxed in. One thing that works too is an internal plate with BOTH bolt holes pre-threaded and the plate is then slipped in place and plug welded through the same hole that was used to insert it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks all, I was thinking of doing the threaded plate idea but didn't know if anyone had done it. What thickness and type plate should I use? I saw the post last week about the hole cut in the frame then patched but was trying to avoid that.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 10:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The plate thickness should be equal or slightly exceed the bolt diameter.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode