help needed on 4.0 removal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 07:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

help needed on 4.0 removal

Can anyone tell me how to remove the torx bolts that connect the bellhouse to the engine block on a 4.0liter? I have been able to loosen/remove everything except for these two pesky fastners because of the tight confines. I have been using a torx socket with universal and extensions. There has to be a trick and I am not very tricky. hehe
This is a 93 YJ 4.0 liter with manual transmission.

Thanks, Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 09:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: help needed on 4.0 removal

If you remove the plate that surrounds the shifter, you might be able to get to them from inside the tub. I suffered with extensions, and was able to do it, but this trick might work and I would have tried it if I had thought of it at the time.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 10:13 PM
Veteran

Install a 2" body lift. That'll fix your problem. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Sawzall anyone? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Occasionally, when there's just no other way, I've been known to using a metal-cutting hole saw and drill a hole through the floor of my tub to permit me access to subborn fasteners. When you're done, use a glue called "GOOP" and glue a piece of sheet metal over the hole. Of course, my CJ is a far cry from a show vehicle (my paint job is done with a brush). When you got to get the bolt out, you gotta get it out!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 02:54 PM

Go in through the shifter hole. Also make sure that the rest of the bell housing bolts are tight because if they are not and you try to take out that bolt last(as oposed to the larger hex bolts below)it will have a lot of tension on it from the engine and trans trying to seperate. I pulled my 4.2 out friday night and had the same problem after the person helping me stripped the bolt. I wasn't reusing the trans so I just torched the bell housing. But if you need the trans I wouldn't recommend the blue tipped wrench aproach.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input, problem solved! It took 3 people to remove it. One person on the ratchet with extensions, another person to hold the torx with universal joint, and the third person to pray.

Thanks again, Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode