Cant decide between 90 4.2, 91 4L or, a 2.5L - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Cant decide between 90 4.2, 91 4L or, a 2.5L

Alright, i still cant make up my mind. First off, the 4.2 has power, only down side is its carbed. then on the other hand, the 91 4L is fuel injected and power but costs more and plus i cant find one, they are all 2.5L. So then why not go with a 2.5L one, it has efi and cheap, but less power. i dont know what to do, i could go with the 90, see if i liked it, if not, see if the engine would last and eather change to a better carb or add efi. or i could get a 2.5, loose all the power, spend less money, but may not be able to go off road and add lift and 33's, i can if i regear but i dont know how much that costs. or go witht the 91 4L that i just cant find one and the ones i have found and sold went for to much. so should i keep the power, stay with teh 4.2 L and see how i like it, or go with the 2.5 L EFI(which years is that with the yj?) and lose the power and have trouble adding lift and bigger tires?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Cant decide between 90 4.2, 91 4L or, a 2.5L

Go with the 2.5L, work on it and get comfortable with working on it. It will still do pretty good off-road and will help you develop skill off-roading. Then when you are ready to move up. SWAP. So what if you start up with a 2.5L as the old saying goes it's not what you buy, it's what you build. What is the point of spending all your money on the purchase when you are going to modify anyway. And just the fact that you are active on this board....you will modify. But as you have already found out this is the best group of folks to get advice from. Hell I never wanted a V8 jeep until H8 posted those pics of his little piece of art.

'95 Cherokee; '86 CJ-7, HEI upgrade
'84 CJ-10a, running stock; '84 CJ-10a, running stock; '84 CJ-10a, running stock; '85 CJ-10a, needs alt & vacuum pump.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 06:39 PM
Addict

Keep looking. Go for the 4.0. You won't regret it.

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

the only problem is, i havent found one 4.0 L that is even close to my price range and i cant barely even find one that is close to it, i mean they are all like 8K and the year i want is a 91 and i havent found one 91 4L yj in the past 4 months. and i heard the 2.5 will be cheaper

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 06:56 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You have to make the choice. I would wait for the 4.0. Do you want to buy something this minute that you will not be happy with, or do you wait until you find the "RIGHT" truck for you. We can give you our oppinions all day long, but the final decision is all up to you.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 07:50 PM

Broaden your search buddy. Start with a 50 miles radius and move up to 100 miles if that doesn't do it. 100 miles isn't that far. Little over an hours drive and half a tank of gas with my carbed 4.2L (and it has a 15 gallon tank!)

Definately hold out for a '91 or newer with the 4.0L, I sure wish I had! The 2.5L is alright for off-road where you keep the RPMs down (that leaves out mud and sand...) , but for on-road driving its the pits- especially if you stick 33s on it. My friend had a built-up truck with 33s and it was practically neutered. I whooped on him drag-racing against my Postal Jeep!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode