4cyl yj vs 6? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

4cyl yj vs 6?

alright, will someone help me. i need to know hwo the 4 cyl yj is better and worse than the 6 and why. i also would like to know, would it be worth it to get a stock 4 cyl. like could i still go off road, add like 33's and stuff? and arent they cheaper and less costly than 4L? so basically if everything besides the off road and the speed on road. how much of a difference is it and what couldnt i do offroad?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Re: 4cyl yj vs 6?

oh, also, dont think i am thinking about a 4 cyl just because its cheaper. im thinking about it because i heard it was more reliable, and less costly, and insurence is less. also, i need to know if there was any change in engines in the years of the 2.5L yj and which ones were EFI and which ones had good things and what those good things were and which ones had bad things.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

With the 2.5L engine regearing the axles will be more important then with the 4.0L. Meaning, going to a 33" tire with stock gears, the 2.5L is going to have to work really hard to get you going.... However, if you regear the axles, it'll do just fine. I have a good friend who wheels a 2.5L (mostly crawling type wheeling) and it does great. Of course he is running 5.38s in ford 9s on 36 in swampers...but it will work.

In both cases, the 4.0 and the 2.5, the axles are a weak point. Especially the 2 pieces rear axle shafts. Depending on what kind of wheeling you expect to do, I think you really want to sit down and come up with a plan for your mods and stick to it. It may take a little longer, but you'll most likely spend less $$ in the long run. (ie. Do you want to rear gear stock axles, or upgrade the rear to a 8.8, for example, and regear that...)

If your wheeling is going to be mild, then the stock axles will probably do just fine for a long while...

HTH.

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
See my forsale list:
http://www.tidesys.com/forsale.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

how much does regearing cost and how much would it cost to get it done by a mechanic? and, by what your saying, the 2.5 is fine, if i regear. if i plan on doing serious offroading, i should change the axles? so basically, the actual engine is fine, all of the yj 2.5L has EFI?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

oh also, was there a crappy tranny in the 2.5L and what years is that?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think all the 2.5L were EFI, but not 100% sure. Yes, personally (and it is just that, a personal opinion) I think the 2.5L can do just fine. Jason Bunch of Tri-County gear runs a 2.5L in the rock crawling competitions... and does pretty good.

Now, if your wheeling is going to be mud boggin kinda stuff, then you might be disappointed and want more HP(4.0L) to spin (read clean) the tires...

The 4.0L is a great engine... and if I were starting over, I would try to buy a YJ with a 4.0L, but wouldn't walk from the right deal on a 2.5L. Gets us back to "Have a plan"... What is your goal? Map it out on paper.... Is it a buy the jeep and do lots of mods immediately or over time? Have a budget in mind already (its always more expensive then you plan But less expensive if you do it right the first time around.

I can't comment on the trannys much. I've never owned a YJ, and my CJ7s T4 is LONG gone.

Have you driven any 2.5L and 4.0L YJ? Try too before you buy. Don't know where you are, but in New England there are lots of show jeeps (ie street built jeeps with 33s, chrome, etc) that have 33s and haven't been regeared. See if you can find one and drive it. Then drive one unlifted. You'll see a big difference.

Cost on regearing.. It going to vary widely, but I would guess somewhere in the 1k range (new gear sets, maybe carriers, bearings and labor). Could be more or less...

Changing axles: The Ford 8.8" out of the Explorer is a popular rear axle swapfor the YJ and is almost a bolt in. Doesn't need to be cut. Can be had with disc brakes, and cost isn't too bad. If you got lucky, you might even be able to find one with the right (lower) gear ratio and then only have to put new gears in the front to match the new rear ratio. Scout rear D44s are a good swap also. A little narrower then stock YJ, about 2" total, but nothing to worry about.

Of course the other option in all of this is: Buy the YJ (which ever engine..) lift it, new tires and wheel it. Then deal with gearing/axles/trans as you can afford to (or you break them..) If you do this... still have a plan laid out so when it happens you now whats next.

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
See my forsale list:
http://www.tidesys.com/forsale.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gas mileage is much the same between the two. The 2.5 rigs have a lower gear (I think its 4.10 vs. 3.73) in the pumpkins. I have a 94 YJ 2.5 w/33's and am satisfied with what it is. You don't go anywhere fast, but in a Jeep, fast is not the mission.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 08:06 PM
sas87yj

i would hold out for the 6cyl without a doubt. don't settle for the puny 4. you know the jeep isn't a sport or race car but the 6 is nice on the highway and you will spend more time there than the rocks i would assume. for actual 4 wheelin the 4cyl would do just fine. get a 6!!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

steve

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rice,
I just had 4.56 gears(from 3.07) put in my 90 wrangler, new ball joints, carriers,bearings,seals and a posi in the rear cost me $1500.While I had it apart I replaced the front hubs/wheel bearings at $150 per side.After all was said and done my rear ends are all new for about $2000.I also put a clutch and throw out bearing in, had the flywheel cut $250.Of course with the lift kit, its had a vibration the last 2 years, so I got the heavy duty SYE kit from Tom Woods for $525.All of this was needed since I put $3000 in the lift kit,33" tires and winch.

A friend has a 4cyl. with 33x12.50's and said he gets about 10mpg.He can't pull his 4x8 trailer when we go wheelin.So personally I'd stay away from the 4 cyl. and definatley stay away from the carbed 6 cyl. Just wait till you find a good deal on an injected 6 cyl.

For what its worth after putting my Jeep back together I smoked the motor the first weekend out. So try to keep a little money tucked away to cover crap like this,and try to end up with a really cool jeepchic.......that makes alot of money.

Edder

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode