O/T- Posting pics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

O/T- Posting pics

I recently got my scanner hooked up and I an very new at this internet stuff. I've been trying to put a few pics on here but it keeps telling me that the files are too big. I've seen some of you post 3 of 4 very large pics at once but I can't even get the files small enough to post a small pic. Is it because they are in bitmap format and if so, how do I change that?
Thanx

[img]jeep.bmp[/img]
'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto, 4.0 head swap (finally), no trac bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 12:29 PM

Re: O/T- Posting pics

Save them as a jpeg. These are usually smaller. Also the resolution ahs alot to do with the size. Try not to use a very high quality for the web. You can also use photo editing software to resize the pics too. The have to be under 100k to upload them on ORC.
If you need more help, I'd be glad to, but it would be way easier on the chat room. Let me know.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 01:04 PM
Old Hand

Jpeg and 256 colors (more than enough for the web). Try to scan at 72 dpi if you've got the option to set it...

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 02:56 PM
Addict

First off, I would not mess with .BMP's at all.

Second, if you have webspace available through your Internet Service Provider (ISP), you can download a large file to it and then put the [*image][/image*] markup for it to appear within the text of your post. (You have to remove the * of course - see "using markup in your posts" above your username on the "post message" screen for details.)

Finally, I take a different, longer approach than most. I scan the pic in at a very high resolution (usually 1200dpi for really bad photos) so that I can tweak it in Photoshop if needed. From there, I will decrease the resolution to 72dpi or lower, and save it as a "low quality" .jpg file with maximum LZW compression. (All of these should be save options in your photo editor.) The results are high resolution looking photos on screen with lightening fast download times over slow connections.

Give it some time. The more you play with your scanner and programs the more you will learn. It will seem overwhelming right now, but in time you will become very proficient at it.

When you come to the end of your road, get out and lock the hubs in . . .
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess what I need to know is how to save as a jpg file instead of a bmp file. They seem to go to bmp files automaticly. Is there a way to reformat the file to a jpg after I've saved it.
Thanx for the advice. I will learn this[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]jeep.bmp[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 10:55 PM
sas87yj

after you scan a pic do you have any software like i have called "adobe"? if so, go there and "send" to the internet under website. has 5 steps or so like "trim", "size", "reduce", "file type" and "done".
you should be able to skip through first 3 and pick "jpg" in the "file type" mode.
i am not a computer wiz so this may not help *disclaimer*[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

steve

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 11:38 PM
Addict

Yes, well . . . yes depending on what kind of photo editor you have. There should be a "save as" feature that you can change the format. You may also have to change it from an indexed color to an RGB or vice-versa under something like and "image" or "mode" drop down menu from your top menu bar - (the one that has "file" and "edit" at the top is the menu bar that I am talking about.)

I know this is really hard to explain over the bbs like this. It is one of those things that if I were setting in front of the computer, I could easily SHOW you how to do this. But to explain it properly is just about impossible since I don't know exactly what you are using, and even if I did know I may have never used that program/scanner before.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let me jump in here, I'm wanting to buy a scanner mainly to post pics on here and sends pics of the kids to family.Is there any special "what ever" I should look for? What about a digital camera? Would that help or do I need both?

Thanks a million
Edder

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 12:25 AM
Addict

If they had the digital camera technology like they do now, I would have never bought a scanner. When I bought mine, a 1200dpi cool lamp full color flatbed scanner was slightly cheaper than the price of a B/W digital camera - so it was a no brainer. The good thing is, I bought the right one and the scanner is still as good as most of the top end ones on the market now - and still better than the mid range ones - so it was a good hardware investment that hasn't aged much (unlike the top of the line 90MHZ Pentium it was connected to! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img])

If I were in the market now, I would spend the money on a higher end digital camera instead of a scanner. There is not much else that I do anymore except scan in pics now that I am out of the building trade. I know I would take more photos if I had a digital because the processing costs are nil compared to regular photos, and you eliminate quite a few steps with the digital. Also, you have instant views of your pics and can delete them and retake if they suck. I am not a professional photog dude, so that would be a great thing to have.

My .02, 1/4 of the readers will agree, 1/4 will say I am out of my mind, 1/4 will say who cares, and 1/4 will say what the heck are you all talking about - so it probably will boil down to personal preference and what you are going to use it for.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx for all the speedy replys guys. DirtDog straightened me out on the voice chat the the other night. I needed to play with my photo software a little more to find some of the options. Thanx again for all the quick help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode