cj-5 or yj - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

cj-5 or yj

Alright, i need to know which is better. i would drive the jeep every day. and i need power steering and brakes. im also looking for some comfort but i dont want it to be a pussy car. i also want it to be able to withstand off roading and a beating. which one is also more reliable and which one do parts cost less for? basically, which one should i get?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 02:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: cj-5 or yj

The newest CJ-5 you find will be 18 years old ('83 was the last year) so you have to consider that when shopping for something reliable "out of the box" so to speak. I know there are guys out there who drive their 5's and 7's every day, (mine will be that way if I ever get it done) but this takes a hard effort to fix everything that age and the dorks who owned it before you have destroyed! I would buy the newest Jeep you can afford without tapping yourself of every last cent. I've been following your posts and your search for an EFI, '91 or newer YJ is a good plan IMHO. The YJ's are not "pu$$y cars" like you mentioned, they just need a little more attitude to be as cool as CJ's (sorry H8[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). Whatever you do, don't rush into something 'cause the wheels are shiny. Take your time and figure out what you REALLY want...and be honest with yourself.
(YJ's are cool, just had to get my "square headlight" hack in there [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Almost ready for paint.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 02:48 AM

Mike, I am always watching and taking notes, hmmmm, wheres my pencil and note pad? NOTE:05-17-01- Smokngun, makes remark about YJs lack of "cool factor". Note to self: Never rest until retribution has been served.
Now what were we talking about, Oh yeah CJ5 or YJ.
The YJ is good starting point, with a sound frame, and tub, an easily and affordably improved suspension, relatively problem free electronocs, and reliable engines. If you can afford a YJ with a 4.0 you should be free to spend your money on upgrades, rather than replacing all of the rusted out CJ components with YJ parts. Honestly, If you need to ask whether or not you should get a CJ or YJ, you are probbably not enough of an old CJ afficianado that having a YJ will affect the phycy on your manlihood once you get used to the fact that the headlights are the astheticly better looking square version.
I like YJ best, as a starting point for a build up, but a well built CJ (read: CJ headlights, on YJ frame tub and springs, with completely upgraded drive train), is an impressive rig, with timeless cool looks.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 10:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

H8 is right (except for that astheticly pleasing part[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) The YJ really is a better platform to build something from. Better frame, better engine (EFI 4.0) galvinized body (MUCH less rot), and actually the headlights aren't that bad, I just cant handle the dash but that is a trivial point...why did I buy a CJ again???

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Almost ready for paint.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 11:26 AM
Old Hand

H8, you're killing me. I gotta admit it must feel good that every post defending the YJ references your killer rig.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 05:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would like to be specific,and say that the YJ has a better fuel delivery system.I've owned both,and in my opinion the YJ does not even compare to the CJ in stock form.

TOMMY PARKER
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 08:12 PM

I've got a stellar idea. Go buy a YJ, and when you've got the cash stick a CJ front clip on it (hood, fenders, grill). Then everyone will wave at you, and when they pass you they will just wonder where the fuel filler went....

Of course they will probably notice that the front clip is the only rusted-out section of the Jeep and figure that something is amiss...(unless you get a one-piece fiberglass unit.)

Just you wait until my YJ is back up and running around. I'll show everyone what the stock suspension can do when properly tuned [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just keep in mind I have 2" less ground-clearance than before due to the friggin x-case swap...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-430253-trannyswap_0039.jpg (48.6 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 08:41 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Lets see....the ONLY way to get a factory V8....hmmmmmm....can you say CJ! Lets see....a tranny that will live behind a V8.....hmmmmmm.....CJ again! Natural body trimming ability.....hmmmmmm...er....nevermind.

I love my old hunk of junk CJ5. It has never failed me in the six years I've owned it. Its been flipped (without front rollbars!), repainted four times (love those rattle cans) and still only has a little rust on her.

If you take care to find a good CJ, and take care of it like you should, you'll be just as happy with a CJ as a YJ. Besides...Cjs just LOOK more muscular!

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah,
what he said
:]

77 cj5 sorta, V8, 4"lift, 33's, lotsa miss'n metal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode