If you did a YJ Tub Swap Please Read... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you did a YJ Tub Swap Please Read...

Ok...Before I lower and mount the tub on the frame *still waiting on my bushings to come* I want to get the gas tank thing straightened out. Has anyone ever just run hoses from the YJ drivers side filler over to the CJ passengers side tank inlet. I am debating on cutting the hole out. I don't think that will be a problem but was thinking of this question...If I cut the new hole and stick with the YJ flares *what it has on it* and I want to use diamond plate to cover up the original hole on the passenger side, how do I order my diamond plate corners? Do I get the CJ ones..the YJ ones...do I get the ones with the cut outs? Are the corners different for the CJ and YJ since the flares are different? Help would be appreciated...Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 10:54 PM

Re: If you did a YJ Tub Swap Please Read...

I did the swap..I cut a new hole on the passenger side. Running the hoses from one side to the other would lead to pinching or crimping of the hoses I think. Plus I like having the filler on the opposite side from the exhaust tailpipe which sits right below it. I would get the uncut diamond plate so you can make the cuts yourself. You will need to get the YJ ones I believe, I am not positive that there is a difference. One option is to get the diamond plate corners which don't go all the way to the wheel well. I believe that Jeepskate has that type and he has also done an alternative fuel filler arrangement using the TJ filler.

Jay

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 10:05 AM

I did the swap too...in fact, you can read my article on it SWB BBS website http://www.swbbbs.freeservers.com/body.htm
I cut a hole in the YJ tub to keep my gas filler in the original CJ location. It was simple to do by drilling out the four corners and running a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade around to connect the drilled holes. Mine turned out looking like a stock CJ filler hole. I just left the YJ licence plate holder on my new tub over the YJ filler hole, and you can't even tell it is there.
When I had diamond plate corners on my old CJ tub, they went all the way to the fender opening, so the flares fit over them. I would imagine the YJ corners would be the same, so if you were to get corners with no cutouts for a YJ or CJ, I think they would be exactly the same. If you got CJ corners, you could always trim them to make them fit better with the YJ flares if necessary.

Hope that was some help.

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://netnow.micron.net/~wdohrn/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 12:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just a suggestion for the old hole.
I've seem some people use the old filler hole on the drivers side as a place to mount a single, bright, back-up light. The hole is there and it keeps the light out of harms way.

[img]jeep.bmp[/img]
'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto, 4.0 head swap (finally), no trac bars.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help...I decided to cut the hole and I did it tonight...Masked it off with duck tape so I would not scratch the metal around it...marked the hole and cut it with a jigsaw. Went though it like butter. There is a bracket on the back that is kinda in the way by the inside edge. I went over another half inch to the outside to make sure I cleared it. It is not quite center under the light but it isn't too bad.

David
Missouri

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode