What jeep should i get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

What jeep should i get?

Alright, here is everything. I like the look of the cj-5 and 7. i only have about 5-6K to spend. cj-5's seem to be the cheapest, but i will probably have to replace most everythign on it and i have no idea how much that would cost, cj-7 are about all 4-6k and they all have problems and after i would buy the jeep i wouldnt have anough money to fix the problems. 91yj's are more reliable but cost more and supposedly cant take as much. i want a reliable car, eather i have a budget of 6K no matter which way i go, buy a crappy one and fix it up, or buy a good one and hope nothing goes wrong. while at the same time i want tough, and off road machine(well not hardcore but be able to go over the intermediate trails for right now). so what do people suggest, i am only a teenager, so unless somsone really nice on here that lives in atlanta and would like to help me fix one up, i will most likely have to take it somewhere to get it fixed. that is a lil hint, if someone in atlanta area would be nice anough and take me under there wing, that would be greatly apreciated, and i would i could return the favor in someway probably. please give me as many opinions as possible. 5k budget, reliable, and offroadable. thats all i want to knwo is what is good for that and how much itll cost
thanks
andrew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 03:57 PM
tdog90yj

Re: What jeep should i get?

Well
here is the deal. If you get into wheeling. stuff is going to break. Heck even driving down the road stuff can break. So what i did and what realy worked for me was slow down and realize it doesnt all need to be done today. If you want to and you wallet can handle it look at getting a Cj-7 and fixing her up. One of the best summers i ever spent was rebuilding an 85 CJ-7 But i knew that it being a shoe sting budget i couldnt wheel her till i had more money in the bank. But she was reliable as hell and was fun to drive around town. I mean i hate to say this but Jeeps if you get into them have the potential to tap your funds dry. But I do have faith that if you slow down and take your time you will be much happier in the long run. Just my opinion i could be wrong<grin>

Travis
90 YJ I6 258 4.0 head conversion 4"lift 33's & lots of other goodies
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 05:08 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Just buy a JEEP. ANY JEEP. Try and find one with a decent drivetrain. Don't spend all of your money. Once you own it, do the normal things to make it dependable. Don't worry about being pretty until you can count on it EVERYDAY. Once you have it functioning, and reliable. Then worry about upgrading the Jeep. I drove my jeep for two years with rotted, patched floorboards, and rust holes all over. But it was my daily driver, rain, snow, sunshine..... like a mailman. I won't say it NEVER let me down, but nothing is 100%.

Small steps..... get you where you want to go.

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you plan on doing any sort of wheeling, and at your age if you get a jeep-you will. thats not a bad thing, but i know i have been there. you are going to need to learn some basic mechanic skills not just in case things break but even mild off road trails can present water and mud, which at some point will need to be removed from your driveline. the guys on this board have helped me tons, but they cant turn the wrench for me. my advice is this and its simple- do a search for off-road clubs in your area, in atlanta and surrounding there are quite a few i am sure. this will let you get to know some of the people who can- but are also usually more willing to lend a hand, especially if you take the initiative and really want to learn. (they wont do the work for you. i would suggest a cj, not just because i like them but because IMHO, they are a little easier to wrench on for someone just learning.
my .02
good luck,
ryan

77 cj5 sorta, V8, 4"lift, 33's, lotsa miss'n metal
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 07:15 PM

Hey Rice I'm in marietta and would be happy to help you look over a jeep if you want. Not to mention I like having a spotter while wheeling.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 08:01 PM
sas87yj

ok in your situation i recommend this:
with the money you have to budget, get the newest jeep you can with the least mods. do them yourself when you can afford. this should put you in the yj model.

steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode