Finally Back on the BBS! Now some help please . . - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Finally Back on the BBS! Now some help please . .

I am finally out of this semester of classes! This last month and a half has been too busy to hunt, fish, or Jeep let alone read the BBS! With 6500+ posts since the last time I logged on - I am not even going to TRY to catch up!!!!!

I haven't even been able to work on the Jeep since early March, but now I have a little bit of time. So now for the questions:

The 360 I pulled was mated to a GM TH400, but I am staying with the T150 on my CJ for now - with NO plans to go auto. The flywheel off my 304 is in good shape, but all the reference materials seems to indicate that the 290-304 had different manual flywheels from the 360-401.

The 304 calls for a 10 spline 10.5" x 1 1/16" for the T150
The 360 calls for a 10 spline 10.95" x 1 7/8" for the T150 with a heavy duty 3/4 ton option.

Now, if I use the 304 flywheel, will I have to keep the light duty clutch, etc, or does the 304 flywheel have the multiple bolt pattern to mate it to the heavier 3/4 and 1 ton J10/J20 setups? I know I can get a heavier setup for the 304 flywheel if I buy the high dollar after market stuff, but I want to use just the truck/heavy duty stock stuff for now. I don't plan on keeping the T150 forever, so 300+ dollars for a centerforce or hayes setup is a little ridiculous.

Thanks for the input and for the first-hand testimony of those of you who have already crossed this bridge.

When you come to the end of your road, get out and lock the hubs in . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Finally Back on the BBS! Now some help please . .

Welcome back. I cannot answer your questions, but glad to have you back.

'85 Scrambler
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:12 PM

It's not the size thats the problem. They are weighted different. You will have to get one for a 360. They are not too easy to find either. We did finally luck out. Been there done that and good luck. The new ones are $$$$$$.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 12:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jay,
The flywheels differences are because AMC engines are externally balanced and they are displacement specific. It has nothing to do with the clutch. If you use the 304 flywheel it will have to be balanced by a machine shop so that it matches how a 360 flywheel is balanced. If not you will have major harmonic vibrations in the engine. The bolt patterns on all of the AMC flywheels are the same.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 05:23 AM

i passed up a deal on a good running AMC 290 because i couldn't find a flywheel for it, like they said, flywheels match the motor (i've even heard that some of the 290's had different flywheels than other 290's) if i wanted AMC v-8, i'd try to find one with the flywheel, good luck and welcome back [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 05:34 AM

i can get a 360 flywheel out in my neck of the woods for 100 beans used at one of my fav pick and pull

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 07:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I put in my 360 I had to cough up for a new flywheel. Now I'm seriously contemplating going automatic. Maybe you could help make my decision easier. I have a flywheel and centerforce clutch with less than 3000 miles on them. If you can't find one make me an offer and maybe you'll speeed up my plans for the TF727. I could even bring it up in June.

K-16
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 09:43 AM

i copied this from another forum, might want to try them out. : "(specialty jeep parts, 800-504-5337) had brand new flywheels for 150.51! This included shipping and CA sales tax. "
i am almost positive that these are AMC 360 only flywheels. i think its worth investigative since my 401 flywheel was $300! matt

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Well - thanks to all for the info, but that was exactly what I DIDN'T want to hear. Sometimes the truth really sucks. The REALLY bad thing is, I have temporarily misplaced my 360 harmonic balancer!!!!! I just tried to find that thing tonight and came up dry. I found the pulleys, the flywheel, and even the torque converter plate - but no h/b! I guess it is time to tear the garage apart.

Don - I would be interested in talking more. I also have all the kickdown linkage for the 360/727 too. I am not too hip on the centerforce setup, but if we can make a reasonable deal that we can both benefit from I would be willing to do it. I don't know if you are looking for one, but I know where there is a decent 727/235??-don't remember- in a local junkyard. If we pull it ourselves, we can save about $100 - 200. I think they originally quoted me $300, but I think I can talk it down $50 - $100. Besides - it is missing all the kickdown linkage [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Skip -

Exposing my ignorance for all the board to see:

Is it possible to also get the 304 harmonic balancer redone to match the 360, or is that not possible?

Second, how can my shop get the info to properly rebalance the 304 wheel without having a 360 there to compare it to?

Dang Maybe it is time to call TeamRush again [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode