Go look at this 90 YJ or no? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Go look at this 90 YJ or no?

Alright, this weekend my dad said he would go and look at this 90 YJ. It is a 4.2 L with a new 4 speed tranny. It hass 155,000 miles(hehe, alot), it is white, and it is selling for 4,500. well i realize thats a lot of miles, is that price to high, you think i could get it down to like 4000?. i was thinking if i did like it and bought it. i would drive it till the engine gave out, then replace it with a 4L fuel injected. i called the guy, he said the only thing that needs to be replaced is the seats. you all think i should go look at it or no, or are all of you all going to say, wait for the 91.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:55 PM
Wrangler88

Re: Go look at this 90 YJ or no?

well 140K is a lot of miles but i'm sure theres a few boy on this BBS with 4.2's with well over that and still running strong, it all depends on how the person took care of it, 4500 is asking alot, i bought my 88 wrangler laredo, with 88K for $3000 and it was in pretty decent shape when i got it, also with the 4.2, but jeep never put 4speed trannys behind the 4.2 in 90 so you may want to find out about that.. it worst comes to worst take it to a trusted mechanic and have them look over it... good luck

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 12:55 AM
Old Hand

If you like it, make sure you deduct plenty for the bad seats and odd tranny (you really need to find out what tranny it is and get paperwork for it). I would offer $3,000 to $3,500 if the tranny is a good one. If it was a cheap tranny, I would pass on the whole Jeep.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 06:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd point out everything thats wrong,anything you may have to replace,tires,belts exaust, seats, carpet etc. Then follow Raymo's advice and start at 3 grand.Once you get to a price your comfortable with, then take to a mechanic have him check it uot. Even if cost you 50 bucks to find out something is wrong with it, thats better than buying it and then have to fix it.

Edder

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 07:15 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Seems very high to me, and not really a desireable jeep. I'd keep looking.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 11:19 AM

Thanks JEEPN, my words exactly.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 11:59 AM
Addict

Don't rush into buying a Jeep just because it's there. I looked at well over 12 different Jeeps before I bought mine. And this was over the course of a year and a half. Good things come to those who wait. I know it's hard just to sit on the sidelines while everyone is out wheelin', but believe me, you'll be miles ahead of the game when you take your time and buy something that is truly worth your time and money, instead of just any old Jeep that comes along.

'86 'glass CJ7, 33x12.5 BFG AT's 258, T5, D44
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 03:09 PM

If you do check the Jeep out, jack up the front end and check for play in the hub bearings. I had to replace them on my '88, and at the time the bearings were dealer only. The parts were $500, and the labor was $400. I don't know if that is still the case now, as this was 5 years ago, but it was one of the more expensive repairs I had to do. And according to my mechanic, it took a big hammer, alot of heat, and many swear words to get them out.

'84 CJ-7, 4.2, 3.5" Lift, 31's, YJ tub, TR upgrade, Moser 1 piece.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i have a small problem, i have no idea where to look and what to look at for problems, i know nothing about these things really, just know a few things.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 03:21 PM

i am aware that it is a Jeep BBS, but you might consider looking into Samurai or Toyota P/ups as well (that is of course if you donīt mind owning an import).

Both enjoy a very good reputation for being a solid platform, sami parts are dirt-cheap, and the truck (as well as the Toy.) is tough as nails.

My golden rule when buying cars:
If in doubt, .... wait! .... and if you really need to ask here if its worth it, you might spend some more time hanging out here and be able to make a more educated decision on your own...

just trying to help
alfred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode