rear disk/caliper question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

rear disk/caliper question

any one got a GM or fullsized Jeep caliper hanging around? IM wondering what the thinnest caliper you could use with this caliper and still get suffecient SQUUZE to stop.

trying to homebrew some rear disks on My wwag amc20, Ive seen some designs using hte wag 6 lug rotor behind the axle flange, I dont like that, I want it in front, but of course there isnt suffecent meat to tuen the ID large enough to fit properly

Today by chance I slapped a Suzuki Samuri rotor on the rear axle flange, it fits PERFECTLY

BUT its about 1/3 the thickness of the wag/gm rotors.

ideas?

what have you other guys used for rotors on a 6 lug to mount them normally like the front rotors, I dont want them between the shaft flange and the axle tuibe flange.

thanks!

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Re: rear disk/caliper question

cmon I know some of you guys have six lugged rear disks, what calipers/rotors did you use?

OzarkJeep

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might need some small calipers, thats what I'd do. You could build-up the outboard shoe surface on the caliper (shim) and then use the bigger calipers. Is the axle flange too big ? can you grind it down, and use the 6-lug rotors ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Ive thought about shimming the piston side, IM not sure how durable/safe that would be.

the flange is too large to fit inside the rotor, and there isnt really enough meat on the rotor or flange to grund turn enough away, even removing some from both I dont think they would mate up.

there has to be some rotors that fit? 6 lug preferably?

OzarkJeep

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 11:46 PM

So your rotors are located way forward now? I don't know how you could fit a caliper up in there, seems impossible. I see no problems with the rotor mounted in back, I home brewed mine, still in the process of finishing them up, but they went together pretty nicley, I am now using 1/2" studs though, and tomarrow I am welding on the caliper brackets on to finish it up. There is a lincoln of some kind that has rotors that will mount in front of the flange and space back properly to fit a caliper, but I do not have an exact application, and I can tell you that they will not be cheap at all. I just stuck with the GM/waggie rotors.

John
70 Jeepster with "Hurc package"
225 V-6/SM420/D18, D44's locked 4.88, 8" SOA 36's
48 flattie 225 V-6 HEI/T14/D20, D30/D44 31's.
98 Tacoma EC V6, 2" lift, 33's, and NO swaybar [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 03:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go to your local circle track race shop. These guys fabricate brakes for all their cars and can get calipers and mounts, as well as rotors. My mounts cost $11 each. We used the GM calipers at $14 each. We also used std GM rotors mounted on inside of axle flange. This helps caliper clear your wheel but we still had to grind the caliper a bit. We had to use the original backing plate to keep the spacing correct and trimmed off as much of it as possible. Our only problem was the Jeep CJ master cylinder didn't push enough fluid to fill all four large calipers so we used one from an IROC Camaro. Again, the race shop may have a ms cylinder to work. Start there.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

if the caliper goes BEHIND the axle flange, doesnt it make it hard to remove the bearing?

did you enlarge the hole in the rotor enough to clear the bearing retainer plate and bearing?

If it could work with the rotor able to slide on the alx eover all of that stuff then I might go that route.

mount in front of mount behind its only a difference in the thickness of the axle flange, not much as far as caliper stand off that I can tell

OzarkJeep

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 12:31 AM

The rotor slides right over the bearing, no problem at all. You need to remove the axle shaft to remove the rotor though, and what does that take? 2 minutes? How many times do you plan on removing the thing anyway? I used a 4" angle grinder to open up the center of the rotor a bit so it would fit flush with the axle flange. I did not grind the axle flange at all. Then my weld on caliper brackets were $7 a pop from AA chassis. Loaded calipers from the parts store, brake lines, and new studs completed the job. I drilled the axle flange holes out to 1/2" so I could use a 1/2" stud.

John
98 Tacoma EC V6, 2" lift, 33's, and NO swaybar [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 02:34 AM

Since I spend 11 hours a day selling auto parts I decided to look further into the rotors that would mount in front of the axle flange. The best one I found was a rear rotor from a 95 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 with 4 wheel discs. They are 6x5.5 bolt pattern, and looked like they would work just dandy. Around $80 a pop. You would need to use a pathfinder caliper and fab your own mount for it.

I just finished up my rear discs tonight.

John
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 02:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have never tried this but I've been told that '88 chevy 4x4 pickups had front rotors that will fit over the axles wheel flange with a little machining. I used these rotors on a... do i dare say it on a jeep board... Toyota pickup rear axle! Like i said though I've never tried it on a 44. The people you really need to talk to is the guys at TSM they sell caliper mounts etc. they'd be able to tell you for sure. Seems to me I could use either an eldorado rear caliper which has e-brake provisions or a front caliper for 78-88? monte carlo, cutlass etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode