What's next ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

What\'s next ?

OK, I'm sure everyone has an opinion on this. My Jeep is basically stock with the exception of the new 4" lift and wheels/tires. There is SO much to be done. What do you all think is the next most important mod? New rear end (d44)? Lockers for the stock (d35,d30), winch, full roll cage? As I said there is so much to be done. I eventually want to build a rock crawler, but now it's a daily driver also. Just looking for opinions so I can plan my budget. (Just Empty Every Pocket).

Thanks,

-J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 01:32 PM

Re: What\'s next ?

Skip the dana 44, go with the ford 8.8 explorer rear. The roll cage is definetly a good idea so I would start looking at prices for a sport cage kit(front hoop).

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 01:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

I think that the full cage would be the best choice to start with. Safety first. Then when all the other mods get you into trouble and she rolls, your prepared. This is my next project for my Jeep.

80 CJ7 258 T176
36X12.5 Swampers
Fiberglass body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 02:19 PM

just empty every pocket? how about just expect every problem? there's someone on this board who was looking to put a 318 in a cj. that would be just empty every pocket, and please leave your money out under the hood.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Along the lines of "safety first", I read somewhere that lockers, lifts, and tires will get you into trouble and a winch will get you out. By this reasoning, would you invest in a winch before all the stuff that can "get you into trouble"? Also, what has the most potential for breakage? It seems that that's what should be replaced first.

-J

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CAGE-numero uno.
anyone who has ever been in an offroad rollover or even a tip can attest that the number one most important piece of equipment they had that day was the cage (and maybe a harness).
ryan

77 cj5 sorta, V8, 4"lift, 33's, lotsa miss'n metal
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

full roll cage because it could save your butt even on the paved roads.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree cage first, then the winch, thats the best $800+ "insurance policy" you will ever buy.Just remember the only thing that will pull a Jeep out is another
Jeep, full size rigs can't get there.

Edder

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 01:36 PM

A roll cage is always the 1st modification I try to rush my freinds into, if they come to me for advice, on a build up. The Jeep passenger compartment is just not a very safe place to be, untill its been fortified, it is also, not a break the bank modification, considering what you are trying to protect with it. In my opinion, it also says something about your Jeep that most neophites dont understand, it says you take offroading seriousely, and respect it for the potentialy dangerouse sport it can be. You will get more respect from me, and most other experienced Jeepers,(and with respect, comes additional camraderie, and the added help, and parts,(hand me downs) bennefits that follow).
The next step though, is the harder part, on how to direct a person to continue the build up.
If you have enough money that you can put out a couple of grand, at once, and have decent fabrication skills, then its easy. I would say, a Ford 8.8 rear axle, a D44 front, and an SOA, build the axles to 4.54 gears with your choice of lockers, Do the SOA with used springs, and sell your stock axles to recoupe costs, and look for a set of used tires and get out on the trail. You will be set up pretty seriouse and will not have to spend a bank vault, full of loot.
If however you dont have a lot of cash and will be saving for a while for these swaps, and if you are limited in your fabrication skills, then you need to look for a shop having a 4" lift special(whatever brand, they are all about the same, for a short term lift), find some used 33" tires, and buy an EZ locker for the rear axle(Ughhh yeah, I said it, I endorsed the use of a lunchbox locker in a stock axle). The trick here is, that you do the install yourself, to start getting comfortable with opening up your parts, and save some cash that you need to be saving for the axle swap. The reasoning behind wasting money on a lunchbox locker is that if you dont spend money to have it installed, you may recoupe have your cost when you sell it later, but most importantly, it will allow you to get out on fairly tough trails, improving your skills, and gaining a love for the sport which will justify the more costly upgrades later. A winch is great, and very neccessary at the start if you like to do a lot of exploring and camping with only your vehicle, (which is a whole nuther topic, that would need to be addressed as its own topic). If you are with fellow rigs on your trips, then a winch becomes less important as a 1st upgrade. But shovel, axe, come along, ropes and chains, are easily aquired and need to be bagged and given a spot in your rig as soon as possible. Also a fire extinguisher, 1st aid kit, water, oil, tools, all need to be procurred and securely stored, by the time you take your 1st seriouse forrays onto the trails.
There are no off the shelf products that will improve your abilities on the trail, as will driving skills and experience. Get out and drive as much as possible.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode