How is this for the new belt routing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How is this for the new belt routing?

Current one marked 'No A/C':

New belt routing as proposed by Brad Kilby from onboard.air. This would eliminate the need for the second idler pulley and may work with a stock TJ AC belt.

Does it look like everything still turning the same way?

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: How is this for the new belt routing?

By the way I just have to take note that Brad is a great guy! He went outside and popped the hood on one of the jeeps in his back yard so he can walk me through the routing. And that without me wanting to buy anything from him. You think 4wdwh or RE would've done the same?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 01:16 PM
jeepfiend

Just a thought, and I haven't really messed with any serpentine stuff, but are there spots now where the belt used to pulling to drive a pully, and now will have to push? It looks like before the the crank pully and water pump were set so the crank pulled the water pump, and the new set-up looks like the crank pully pushes the water pump drive. Like I said, I am not totally familiar with the serpentine set ups, but it makes sense that a belt has to pull a corresponding pully.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 01:27 PM

deleted cause I screwed up
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing you will need to watch out for is belt vibration. The lengths of belt between each pulley are carefully engineered so that they will not flap when the belt is tensioned properly. If you mess around with the lengths you could get some funky vibrations that will destroy the belt and bearings in the accesory in short order. Another thing is that a belt is like a rope, you can't push it or it will slip. So plan accordingly.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 02:13 PM
Matt M38A1

It appears to me that that routing will provide you with the same rotation on all pulleys. I traced it twice. I'm not sure abotut the vibration issue mentioned above. However, excluding that, with good tension that should work.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

As Brad said, this routing is supposed to be the same as the TJ routing. I'd like to hope that if it works for the TJ it'd work for a YJ too given the similar engine and pulleys. Good point on the vibration, I'll watch for that. Regarding the push-pull effect I think that given a non-stretching belt and enough tension it shouldn't matter. I think the most important thing is that everything rotates in the right direction as before and that the compressor is aligned (in my case eye-balled [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) correctly. I'll play with this tonight and take pictures of any carnage I've suffered. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well I've checked it and it looks like there is no interference anywhere with the new routing. The belt I got is too long though since it was meant for the extra loop around the second idler pulley. So off to Pep Boys tomorrow to get a TJ AC belt. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Root for me. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:44 PM
Can't Get Enough

That is the way they are routed on the TJ's and the Grands. The only difference is the diameter of the "existing pully". The new ones use a smaller idler. There is also a change in the mountng of the p/s pump. Now they are fixed to the manifold, and they add a real neat tensioner bearing below. I don't see a problem, in fact, that is the way I have mine routed.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 12:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] you might want to makesure your waterpump (or other accessories) is turning the same direction as before you make the changes. I think some of the 4.0L's water pump is different than others (like xj vs yj).

Nycjeep88 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Let's go baja in NYC and see how well your suspension holds up.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode