O/T WQhat's the best chain saw? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

O/T WQhat\'s the best chain saw?

Guys-I use a chain saw maybe once a year. What's the best brand/size bar for me to get?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:26 PM

Re: O/T WQhat\'s the best chain saw?

I own a Stihl 029. I use mine quit a bit. They are not cheap but they sure do cut nice. Mine was $320 w/case and extra blade. Maybe looking for a used or a traded one would be a better option for you. I am a believer in Stihl, I can cut circles around a Pulan or Craftsman (not to insult anyone-they are in a different class as far as I am concerned). I also heard the John Deere saws cut great too. Don't know their price.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Huskvarna [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:47 PM

#1 Husqvarna
#2 Stihl. the stihl is a very good saw for the price. i own two. my big one is an 029 and it has lots of power and cuts excellent. i have a smaller one too that is great for cutting and pruning. unless you are doing heavy cutting, the smaller one would be fine. i will try and get you the model # tonight and post tomorrow. matt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:48 PM
Can't Get Enough

Do a search, this was beat to death.

The stihl, Husky, Jonsred, are all excellent, but professional models. for only occasional use, poulan, homelite, are good. If you have money to burn, buy from the first three. If you cut an occasional tree, the others will work fine.

I don't know alot about other brands, but stay away from McCoulough. They are junk in every way, shape or form. At least models from more than ten years ago. No one I know owns them anymore.

As far as length of bar. What do you plan to cut with it? If you plan on pruning trees, or packing it with you all the time, stick with the short bars. If you spend all day cutting wood, the longer bar is easier on the back. Usually a 16" bar will cut any wood you need, anything over 20" starts to get to long.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 01:11 PM
mudracer

For occasional use, a Poulan has a great rep for the low cost. My friend treats his Poulan like crap, and it starts right up and takes more. When it finally dies, you're only out like $99. I cut a lot of wood in the winter, and prefer a Stihl. There are also good and bad models of Stihls. Some are meant to compete with low cost saws, and aren't as well built as their usual line.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
<font color=orange>'79 K10 mud racer</font color=orange> (for sale)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 01:31 PM
Can't Get Enough

I bought a Stihl about 10 years ago and it still runs like brand new with only one plug change. I'd recommend the Stihl.

80 CJ7 258 T176
36X12.5 Swampers
Fiberglass body
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 02:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To my mind, there's only one brand I'd buy new. Thats a Stihl. Other brands work fiine,,but a new saw??....go with the Stihl

DrummondCJ
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stihl is what everybody I know runs. I have (2) 015 and a 039, no trouble at all...my neighbor has a 065 or something like that, it sounds like a 250 MX bike, man does it hog thru the wood. : )

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 02:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ditto on Stihl, I have had an 029 for over a decade and it still runs like a champ!!

'85 CJ-7/360/727/D300 w/Currie Twin Stick and TeraLow 4-1 kit,Dana 44/30 w/4.56 and Detroits,SSR 35's,York AC onboard air and the TR ignition upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode