Another ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Another ?

Alright, all of you all are saying, just take your time and youll find what your looking for. well half the problem is, i dont know what i should look for. i want the reliability of the EFI, so thats why i was choosing the 91, but the price of the 90 is a lot less. So then i was thinking, why not get a 90 with high miles on it, and when it dies, replace the engine with 4.0. would this not be a good idea, or is there more to it then that. will i have change anything else along with the engine? The good thing about this i see, is that i will have left over money for emergencies if needed. and if i feel i wont need to replace the engine in the next few years, i can keep the 4.2L and maybe start changing its appearence a lil with a lift and bigger tires. Does anyone think this is a worse idea than waiting for the 91? or no. I plan on spending about 4,500 on the 90, then having 1,500 left over. meaning if the engine did need to be replaced, i could do that, and if not, then i would have extra money. please tell me what you all think. thanks
andrew
oh also, should i not pin down to a certain year of jeep? or am i doing the right thing by choosing between 90 and 91?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Re: Another ?

oh also, i think i heard where you can just replace the head of the 4.2 L engine with a 4L one and then you can get ride of the carb. is the 4.2 a better engine if it has EFI or would it be better just to replace the whole engine?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just swapping the 4.0 head and keeping the carb will only run you a few hundred dollars and give quite a power boost but you will still have the carb to deal with. Swapping over the whole injection system with the 4.0 head is going to run up a larger bill than you seem to be wanting to spend. The Mopar kit is about $2000 and you still have to spend the money on the 4.0 head swap if you want to do it right. The kit is only to put the injection onto the 4.2. The Howell kit isn't as much but it's still about $1200-$1500 just for the kit.
The 4.2 and the carb aren't that bad. It doesn't go really fast on the highway but I've towed my dad's full sized dodge home with it. There is enough info on this board to make the BBD run properly or enough info to simply swap the carb for only a couple hundred. I put the time into trying to tune my BBD and I did the 4.0 head swap(kept the carb) and it drives like a dream now, even on the highway with the extra power. Of the friends I've spoken to here with the 4.0, it doesn't seem that the fuel economy is that much better with the injection anyhow.
If your bottom line is the cost of upkeep, purchase and operation, why haven't you looking into the 4banger? Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, has injection... There are tons of folks running 33" tires with this motor happily. Just save up for a gear swap when you put the tires on (which you would have to do anyhow with the 4.0). Just think about this one again. If you are worried that it's too under powered, just remember that no Jeep is going to tear away from a set of lights in a cloud of tire smoke. They just aren't built for that.
Hope this helps.

[img]jeep.bmp[/img]
'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto, 4.0 head swap (finally), no trac bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:08 PM
Veteran

I would wait for the '91 and higher - keep your eyes peeled. Have you looked on autotrader.com - I scanned that quickly & they had several '91 and newer Wranglers available within a reasonable distance of Altanta. Also try classifieds2000.com and adquest.com good luck!

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:10 PM
Veteran

Oh, by the way, found this ad on adquest - may be right up your alley, I dont' know where Dalton is:

1993 JEEP Wrangler. MUST SELL! 4x4 6 cyl. Automatic, new top,
99k/mi. Exc cond One owner Call 706-226-4137.
Highlight this ad! Date Posted: 05/16/2001
Source: The Daily Citizen
Locationalton GA Area Code:706

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, i dont think i want the 4cyl jut because i may want more powerin the future. If i went with the 90 and switched ou thte whole 4.2 with a 4L do i have to regear? and how much does regearing cost? i also figuer, if i do get the 90, there would be a chance that i may like the 4.2 so i just saved myself 1,500 dollars, and if i dont like it, then i can replace the engine and just the head and put in EFI, and that could be a few years after i buy the thing. I dunno though, i feel personaly that i could save myself 1,500 buy getting the 90 and seeing how i like that engine, does anyone think that is wrong. i mean i know for a fact that the 90 will be cheaper if i dont switch the engine. and if i do switch out the engine, it will be about the same cost as a 91. so should i go with the 90 and have a small chance of saving 1,500 dollars?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 04:18 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You seem to be hung up on some fixed entity of $1500. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

The fact that it is now 2001, and we are talking about a vehicle that is either 10 or 11 years old, depending on which one you pick, I don't think the $1500 is a fixed entity. If you've found just 2 jeeps, and this is the difference in their prices, then yes, but I bet if you found a 91 with a few dents in it, which you could fix later, I bet you could save the $1500 that way too.

Don't base the whole discussion on 2 jeeps, one which costs X and one which costs Y. There are a lot of jeeps out there, and a lot of combinations that exist for pricing.

If it were me I would keep looking - base the decision on a lot more jeeps.

Good luck
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it were me I would just look for the best running,lowest mileage Jeep in the best possible condition that I could find,and not worry about the year of the Jeep so much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode